Nesting Mystery

Posted by Barry 
Nesting Mystery
April 14, 2006 10:24AM
Hello All, Here's my mystery. I have a series of clips, that are overlayed on each other, and then nested. All seemed good, so I moved them into my timeline and put a page peel transition on them. All seemed good, so I saved my project. When I came in the next morning to double check the alignment of my music, I noticed that the page peel peeled to black and then the next clip played. I checked the nested clips and found that they were all 6 seconds long as they should be. But when I checked the clips in the TL, all was not good. The front 2 seconds, where the transition were are now black and the remaining 4 seconds of the clips are as they should be. Huh?? I hope I explained this well enough. Any ideas on what is going on here.
Oh yeah...the config info:
G4 Quicksilver DP 1gig, 1 gig ram, OSX10.3 FCP 4.1.1

Thanx Barry
Re: Nesting Mystery
April 14, 2006 11:41AM
If I read you right, I think you have discovered that nests have no handles. Even if your source clips had sufficient media for handles at the incoming and outgoing ends, the resulting nest knows nothing about them - only the visible media comes across. What you have to do to correct this is go back to your original sequence and extend the head of the first clip and the tail of the last clip at least as many frames as half the intended transition time, then in the sequence where you have the nest, trim that extra media back. Now your nested clip has handles.

It's a pain, and it's one of those places where using nests impedes your workflow. But when you're trying to transition to a big composite, it's about the only way to go.

Scott
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics