how do i save a favorite screen config???

Posted by ana 
ana
how do i save a favorite screen config???
August 04, 2007 03:45PM
This is yet ANOTHER intermittent frustration:

I use 2 monitors and have set up my windows in a favorite configuration. I have pretty much figured out how I want my screen components organized and configured but very so often the app converts back to the default set up when I open it.

I hate to mention the "A" word but ... Avid let me save and transport my personal settings ... is this possible in FCP and will saving them help me restore my favorite config? Is there something I have missed or forgotten?

thanks so much
ana
Re: how do i save a favorite screen config???
August 04, 2007 04:00PM
I just figured out how to do that. Set it up the way you desire, hold option, window>arrange>custom layout. It saves your view version as key command shift u. I have yet to figure out how to make a custom arrange as default when opening the app.
August 04, 2007 04:36PM
You can't. If you leave the project in your favorite arrangement, it'll open into your favorite arrangement.

You also save your window arrangement to disk and take it with you. It's in the Window menu.
August 04, 2007 04:45PM
There are shortcuts for window layouts that you save in the Arrange menu. Not the Modifier-U shortcuts but layouts you save and name yourself. Save some layouts and then go back and look at the arrange menu and you'll see some shortcuts at the bottom of the list. I think the default is shift-ctrl(6 to 0) on the main keyboard, not the keypad. They get assigned alphabetically to the shortcuts and the shortcuts can be remapped to anywhere you like.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
ana
August 04, 2007 05:06PM
thanks SOOO much .. dammit! I never even looked in the window>arrange menu .... there's even an Avid simulation window ....doh!!!

I appreciate the clues ... lots to play with now!!

thanks !!
ana
August 04, 2007 06:45PM
just so you know:

those 1st two "Custom Window Layouts" (that you set by holding the Option key)
are stored in the FCP preference file.
if you trash your prefs,
you lose the window layouts!

so you should BACK UP your prefs.

the "Custom Window Layouts" are ancient FCP behaviour,
and you're probably going to go with the more recent & sensible saving of layouts.

nevertheless you should get into the practice of backing up your prefs
read this:
[www.lafcpug.org]

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics