OT: SHIFT symbol?

Posted by Nick Meyers 
OT: SHIFT symbol?
August 08, 2007 08:51PM
Writing up some FCP notes, and i want to illustrate the Modifier keys.
you know, add the Arrow for "Shift" etc.
i looked in the keyboard viewer, and the character pallete.

oops.. found it!
in character pallette View: Glyph

but how do i get it to go into a word doc?
i'm clicking on it to no avail

nick
Re: OT: SHIFT symbol?
August 08, 2007 09:22PM
Yeah, those typographical eccentricities drive me crazy, too. If you need a quick fix, try MS Word's Insert - Symbol instead. There's a hollow up arrow symbol under Wingdings, character 241. I can't get the Character Palette or Keyboard Viewer to get me the right arrow either.

www.derekmok.com
August 08, 2007 09:44PM
You should see "Insert with Font" at the bottom of the character palette. Or else just drag the glyph right into your document.

JK

August 08, 2007 10:30PM
> You should see "Insert with Font" at the bottom of the character palette. Or else just drag the
> glyph right into your document.

I tried both those things. No joy. Pretty sure Nick knows those as well. Character Palette just doesn't play nice with many non-Apple applications. MS Word, Photoshop, Boris Title 3D, all have had problems with Character Palette -- you find them, but you can't use them.

www.derekmok.com
August 09, 2007 01:55AM

There's a hollow up arrow symbol under Wingdings, character 241

thanks, Derek.
they shure dont make it easy.
how do the manual writters do it? probably belong to some secret code with special powers.
oh, well.

i looked under webdings. character 241 is an Aeroplane.
i preferred character 242 which is a chipmunk, or some sort of rodent.
i was about to use it anyway, when i realised you said WINGdings...

so no chipmunk for these students!
and no arrow, either. i'll write the word "Shift" and move on.

thanks again,
nick
August 09, 2007 07:05AM
Have you tried just to drag the glyph into your document? There are a lot of 'Arrows' available even with the standard Lucida Grande. Look for 'Arrows' in the palette.
The manual writers do have there own fonts (at least in those days I worked for Adobe)

Andreas
August 09, 2007 08:02AM
Derekmok
I tried both those things. No joy. Pretty sure Nick knows those as well. Character Palette just doesn't play nice with many non-Apple applications. MS Word, Photoshop, Boris Title 3D, all have had problems with Character Palette -- you find them, but you can't use them.
I just tried again because I know I used it several times with many apps. It don't have Word but both with Boris and PS it works fine. Instead of using the "Insert with Font" just double click the selected character since this "Insert with Font" seems to disable the feature to insert glyphs at the end of a text with PS as it seems to make some strange Unicode character at the end of the text.
You also may have to select the glyph and assign the correct font to it.

Andreas
August 09, 2007 08:18AM
yeah, i tried to use the character palette the way i'm used to,
but Derek's right, it doesn't work that way in Word...

and dragging..
it's weird
every time i drag from the Character Palette,
i get a different result in Word, like !å or !?.

nick
August 09, 2007 08:44AM
Nick
every time i drag from the Character Palette,
i get a different result in Word, like !å or !?.
That's normal as these characters are often 2-byte characters. I don't know whether you can change the settings of a word document to accept them. But at least you try to set the font.

For example in PS you can't use the return symbol and get a similar result. Selecting the odd display and assign the font displayed in Character Palette fixes that.

Maybe you try to work in TextEdit for a test and then open this document in Word and look whether Word accepts these 2-byte formating.

As said I never had problems - but I'm not working with Word smiling smiley

Andreas
August 09, 2007 08:55AM
Andreas
Maybe you try to work in TextEdit for a tes...

or maybe i'll go to bed!

i tried copying via text edit,
then opening a text edit doc in word.
neither work. (word is a law unto itself)

and the article is finished for now (minus the odd chipmunk or two) smiling smiley

cheers
nick
August 09, 2007 09:19AM
Next time you should try the Japanese version of Word - it should know about 2-byte characterssmiling smiley

Andreas
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics