DVCPRO HD 720p23.98

Posted by dne202 
DVCPRO HD 720p23.98
August 14, 2007 02:50PM
So I'm digitizing from a Panasonic HD1400 on FCP 6.0.1

I'm using the DVCPRO HD 720p23.98 easy setup, and the tapes were recorded in 23.98. Here's where the weirdness starts, though. The only way I can get the deck to work is to set the system frequency to 59.94, and set the easy setup in FCP to 720p23.98. When I digitize my footage, it comes in clear and smooth. I look at the clip information and it says the vid rate is 23.98.

HOWEVER, the timecode is funky, it skips numbers and goes all the way to 60 instead of 24. I lay it in a 23.98 timeline and it plays fine, does not need rendering (no green bar or anything). Another interesting thing is that the compressor is listed as DVCPRO HD 720p60.

What's going on? Is this one of those deals like with DVX-100 footage, where the footage requires reverse telecine? Also, we plan to send an EDL of this to an Avid for final online. Is FCP doing some behind the scenes magic that will all get messed up when sent to EDL?

Dan
Re: DVCPRO HD 720p23.98
August 14, 2007 03:07PM
The Varicam records the footage on tape at 59.94 frames per second...and it is flagged as 24p. Meaning when you capture FCP will remove the pulldown and get you the 23.98 fps that was in the 59.94 data stream. This means that your TC will be missing numbers, and will go up to :59.

DVCPRO HD is a 59.94 data stream, no matter what format you edit. And yes, the COmpressor is 720p60. That is the DVCPRO HD format. Even though you'll be at 23.98 fps, the compressor will be 720p60...as that is the format recorded onto tape. EVEN if you shot P2 at 23.98 REAL frames per second (the TC doesn't skip and goes up to :23), the compressor is listed as 720p60.

ONLINING on an Avid? Well, I'd ask the people doing the online if they will have issues. And do a quick cut and export an EDL for them to see if they can capture without issues.

But, if you are capturing the footage via firewire then you are already at full quality...what is to online? You mean COLOR CORRECT? Find a FCP post house for this...I can recommend three...

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Re: DVCPRO HD 720p23.98
August 14, 2007 03:20PM
Okay, thanks for clearing that up. I'll double check with the online and see if it will work out. I think they want to do the avid cause they'll be taking the video to film and have done it on Avid before. But I'll talk it through with them. Thanks a bunch!

Dan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics