connecting a outboard mic pre to a G5 for VO's

Posted by katz 
connecting a outboard mic pre to a G5 for VO's
August 25, 2007 05:43PM
OK so I know there's been alot of talk about VO's and hookups. I read here a few days ago that someone mentioned about connecting a mic pre to the audio line in port on a G5. So if you get an adapter to hook up a Mic pre's (either the XLR or 1/4"winking smiley Output to the Audio Input on a G5... (I believe the Audio Input on the G5 is an 1/8" mono)... would this work with FCP's voice over tool ? Would this be an alternative to hooking up a mic pre using firewire or usb ?
Thanks!
Re: connecting a outboard mic pre to a G5 for VO's
August 25, 2007 06:07PM
<<<(I believe the Audio Input on the G5 is an 1/8" mono).>>>

I think you can stop believing that. Mine's stereo.

Yes, that's how I do it. I'm doing it with a PowerBook, but I believe all the analog audio inputs are the same across the product line.

In my particular case I adapted the RCA monitor output of the mixer to a stereo 3,5 mm (1/8"winking smiley stereo connector and went to town. [www.radioshack.com]

I wasn't going to town in Final Cut, however, I was using Audacity, but it was a simple matter of switching the default audio in the System Preferences Panels.

Koz
August 25, 2007 06:14PM
Hi Katz

Short answer is "Yes". You can choose which input you want to use with the VoiceOver tool. Line inputs on most compuers are good enough for many professional applications. USB and Firewire devices are generally better quality, though.

Travis
VoiceOver Guy and Entertainment Technology Enthusiast
[www.VOTalent.com]
August 25, 2007 06:45PM
I can't find the cable that does this even though I know they have one, so you need to add these two together:

[www.radioshack.com]

[www.radioshack.com]

And yes, my Intel Mini works exactly the same way. I'm not at work, so I can't bet modo chocolate that the G5 will do that, too, but I think it's a safe bet none the less.

You need to be very sure that your Mic Pre puts out line level, -10dB, 1/2 volt, whatever. Some have low level outputs so you can gang them together. You should be able to juuuuust hear the show if you jam your headphones into the audio output. If it's really a low level output, you won't hear squat.

Koz
August 25, 2007 07:29PM
Thanks Koz..I have an Art dual Mp tube mic pre that i'm sure will work, I just have to get the adapters...I can use either a dynamic or a cardoid mic... I have both..
August 25, 2007 08:18PM
<<<either a dynamic or a cardoid mic... I have both..>>>

Here's where it gets messy. Do I tell you, or not.

Yes, I'm sure the tube MicPre is a wonderful thing. They had--typically--the type of distortion that sounds good--warm and friendly because of the transformers and vacuum tubes. Have you priced new tubes? They do wear out. That's one of the reasons a lot of us were happy to see them go for the last time. You may find Russian Svetlana or something like that the only source of replacements.

Anyway, about the microphones.

Dynamic is a type of microphone where your voice causes a tiny, fine coil of wire to move in a powerful magnetic field. Hook the wire to the output connectors and poof, you have a microphone. You might notice that dynamic speakers work like that in reverse. Perfectly true. You can connect a plain speaker to a MicPre and start talking. That does work.

[www.radioshack.com]

You can also connect a dynamic microphone to a speaker amplifier and listen to the microphone play music. That works too, just before it destroys the microphone. Not very highly recommended.

The classic rôle reversal is the Sennheiser HD-414 headphone. That was the first "Open Air" design and it swept the listening community. I still have mine, hundreds of years later. That headphone was constructed from Sennheiser dynamic microphone elements--not headphone parts.

Two other common types of microphones are ribbon, and condenser/capacitor/electret (same thing).

All these microphone types can be build into a container that shapes their personality. The personalities or characteristics can be omnidirectional (receives from all around), cardioid (receives mostly from the front), supercardioid (receives sharply from the front--shotguns do this), and figure of eight (receives front and back but not the sides).

You can get any combination. Ribbons come naturally figure of eight, but you can get a cardioid ribbon (RCA BK-5B) [www.coutant.org].

...and so on. You could have two dynamic microphones. What are your microphone model numbers and we'll tell you what's really there.

Koz
August 25, 2007 09:20PM
I have the standard shure SM 58. An AKG C3000 (Condenser...i'm sure "no pun
intended" you know that) also a Russian Oktava condenser. BTW I have Mullard
tubes in the Dual MP. Haven't used the mic pre for awhile. Oh..i also have
an Audio Technica Lavalier that I use for interviews. Maybe I should use
that one to match?
What say ye?
Paul
August 25, 2007 11:47PM
that dual mp is a really good mic pre as i recall. just adapt with a 1/8" stereo plug from your local guitar center/radio shack into the built in on your mac and you'll be in business.

a lot of the audio world comes down to what you like. ive used focusrite, neve, and stock mackie and digidesign stuff for mic pre - all were good! it all comes down to personal flavor choice - and unless you use it on a daily basis, id challenge all but the best trained ears to tell a big diff. travis, koz, and derek may all have their flavors of choice. but anything they tell you is likely a good bet ; )
August 26, 2007 01:34PM
>>>Haven't used the mic pre for awhile.>>>

Ding, ding, ding. One problem with vacuum tubes is they can get gassy if left alone and not used for a long time. There is a chemical called a "getter" inside the tube and its purpose is to take the last little bit of air out after the tube is pumped down. If you don't warm up the tube every so often (six months?), the getter chemical starts to ooze air back into the tube making it "frying" and noisy.

Vacuum tubes are Not Convenient. If the equipment happens to work Much Better than anything else you have then they're worth it, but they are a pet. You have to walk them and clean up after them--and occasionally take them to the vet.

<<<SM 58>>> Dynamic Cardioid. Excellent voice and singing microphone.

<<<AKG C3000>>> That one is a Cardioid Condenser, large diaphragm. Probably good for voice. I know nothing more.

<<<Russian Oktava>>> Not close enough. They make many mics.

<<<Mullard tubes >>> I think those are still being made in England.

<<<Audio Technica Lavalier >>> If it's the electret-cardioid model, I tend not to like them. The first time the actor moves the capsule or bumps it the wrong way, that's the end of the show. The capsules are required to be mounted on the actor's chest exactly the right way. I can point to two PBS shows that had troubles because the guest bumped the mic and spent the rest of the interview sounding like they had woolen socks in their mouth.

You seem to have a selection of various microphones that will never ever match each other, but there's enough there to mic almost any performance except something that requires a shotgun.

Koz
August 28, 2007 12:57AM
C3000 is a classic. That would be my choice.

I think the poor link in the chain here (and I'm definitely one of the audio snobs who 'can hear it' as descibed above) is using the .35 minijack in. If I had that amount of stuff, I'd definitely be getting a mid range firewire or USB device.

But I agree with the above - all these suggestions will work - your personal milage (and how much you look at the odemeter!) will vary.
August 28, 2007 06:54PM
OK, now I have a question.

You don't match. You seem to have an excellent collection of microphones and connection equipment. Nobody including me has said the words: "That's a terrible microphone, I hate it in every way." The worst you got was me observing troubles with the lavalier--and in very specific application, not in general. It's actually a terrific microphone.

So what's the deal? You showed up asking some very basic questions about interconnects. Anybody owning and using that collection should be telling me how to connect them, not the other way around.

So flesh out the story a bit. You got the mics in a garage sale? You always wanted to own a large capsule condenser microphone and then you got your tax refund back....? Something.

Koz
August 29, 2007 12:52AM
LOL...Koz i've had a fair amount of musical/studio knowledge and experience for alot of years...I just wanted to find another way of connecting a VO mic via preamp other than USB or Firewire with no Latency. BTW...I've picked up these particular mics along the way. From
Live play(sm58's & 57's) to studio mics AKG C3000 etc.
Best to ya...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics