Can XSan only work with XRAID?

Posted by Josh B 
Can XSan only work with XRAID?
August 29, 2007 02:57PM
Simple question, sorry ive hunted all over and i can't seem to find the answer. Is it as appears on the web-site that XSAN will only work with XRAIDS as the storage devices? And if so why!!

Also do any of you folks have much experience of working with MetaSan - any information would be greatly appreciated (other than previous posts and reviews which ive read!)

Thanks

Josh
Re: Can XSan only work with XRAID?
August 29, 2007 07:29PM
I'm still using metasan successfully.

I think xsan will work with other fibre raids.
August 29, 2007 09:37PM
Yes, X-SAN will work with other "Non Apple" storage.

But, the burden would now be on YOU, not Apple to troubleshoot and resolve any "3rd party" conflicts/incompatibilities.

Mark
August 30, 2007 11:24AM
Excellent first question sorted many thanks - suspected it would but apple wouldn't dare mention the fact that you might want to use anything but their beloved xraids!

Graeme I read your review with great interest but can i just ask you about your current MetaSAN setup - as much detail as you can bare to give me! - any particular problems or restraints? While im aware that MetaSAN does notneed a dedicated Controller did you or have you have a chance to test the comparisons with and without a machine set as a dedicated controller?

Thanks again
August 30, 2007 11:29AM
I don't think there's much more to add than the review. I've had the odd bother where one mac didn't want to be on the SAN after it crashed, but I think that's a fibre card hardware issue as the mac seems to forget it has a fibre card.

Really it works well, but I'm hardly stressing it out.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics