Subtitles

Posted by ERIC B 
Subtitles
April 17, 2006 11:19PM
What font/size/template should I use in Livetype for subtitles?
Re: Subtitles
April 18, 2006 04:40AM
LiveType is not the place to do subtitles. It's incredibly clunky for this. Use a Title 3D template. Everybody likes something different. I like 24 point yellow, black edge, Futura.

All the best,

Tom
April 18, 2006 09:31AM
I usually use the simplest font: Helvetica Bold, 18-24 points, yellow, drop shadow and outline. Legibility is king for subtitles -- aesthetics come second. I think Tom's suggestion of Title3D is spot-on -- if you did this in LiveType, you'd have to have one LiveType file or one QuickTime export from LiveType per subtitle card! Just use Title3D and copy it as many times as you need in the timeline.
April 18, 2006 01:24PM
I had to do just a few "subtitles" recently (to clarify muffled audio) and couldn't figure out how to do the drop shadow. Is it just a checkbox that I was overlooking? (I know, RTFM.)

Ultimately, I made two copies of the text (one white, one black) and offset them to create the dropshadow.
April 18, 2006 01:25PM
The main issue that I've had with LiveType is that you can't hide those blue lines from view, so the screen gets really really cluttered.

The nice thing is that you can position things really easily.

Whatever you do, use an non-serif font (without those tiny flags at the top and bottom of the letters). Those tend to look great, but are hard to read as a subtitle.
April 19, 2006 12:17AM
Yeah Mike, if you're talking about Title 3D, then you just missed a check box. Look for the drop shadow icon tab on the left side of the window. Click on that, and then click one of the boxes (T1, T2, etc.) to activate the drop shadow. All the controls are there.

Andy
April 23, 2006 02:55PM
Digital Heaven has a $10 plug in for "sub titles"... complete with free QT tutorial on their website to show an amazing number of options for the price.

Independent photographer, film maker and Producer. In the wonderful UK.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics