broadcast compression

Posted by J.Garcia 
broadcast compression
September 10, 2007 10:15AM
Here is my dilemma, I have to send a video over an ftp, for broadcast, the person I talk to was not able to tell me what format / compression to send her she just said that quick time will do.

I would like an opinion and I know that it depends on a lot of factors but it will take for ever to try to get it from the people I am dealing with so I come to my trusty fellows at LFCPUG

The video is shot on mini dv, If I was going to export a quick time file from my time line to send them what would be the best compression I use a lot of self contain movie, is that OK or that would be only native of quick time and might not work for them?

One thing she mention was transferring to BETA SP, for broadcast.

that's all the info I have.

I know that I should try to get more info from them but is just not possible.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

thanks again

Sincerely

J.
Re: broadcast compression
September 10, 2007 10:34AM
is "she" the actual broadcaster? or is she an advertising agency?

ive tried a lot and most (if not all) broadcasters cant or wont directly accept video over FTP - they claim its because of their injest/traffic procedure. they all want it on [at least] BETA SP

but to answer your question. YES you can just export a self contained QT file and FTP that to whomever is delivering it to the broadcaster. but at some point someone is probably going to have to put it on beta tape.
September 10, 2007 11:00AM
WAYNE THANKS.
the self contain movie is the best codec for her to go to Beta SP?

And yes she is the broadcaster and said that they have done it before but she could not give me specifics.
September 10, 2007 11:13AM
yes. thats the best and easiest way to go. youre not going to get any BETTER that a self contained QT and you definitely dont want to ADD compression by bringing in another codec.

shes probably just going to drop your movie into her edit system and make her own beta tape or export it directly into her programming system.

i wish my local broadcasters were as cooperative as yours is!
September 10, 2007 11:22AM
thanks a lot!

your knowledge and time are highly appreciated.

Sincerely

J.
September 10, 2007 11:32AM
no prob! its why were here ; )
September 10, 2007 06:46PM
<<<is "she" the actual broadcaster? or is she an advertising agency? >>>

I would have pressed her a little more about the equipment she's on. The deliverables are very different if she's on Mac, Windows, or a Broadcast Injest service.

That and we haven't delivered anything on BetaSP in several years. We go through DigiBeta tapes like Budweiser on a hot day.

This thread reads like "Self Contained QuickTime" is one thing. You can dig yourself a serious hole with that. Or it could be they do this all the time with hundreds of different Mac contributers and this is old news.

We'll see.

Koz
September 11, 2007 02:58PM
They received the self contained movie and could not open it!!

They are using PC and running avid.

What would be a better way to deliver this file, he mention AVID and MPG - 4 for Broadcast!?

yes now there is a he involved but did not seem to know much more but that he could not open it.

I have compress using quick time conversion using dv/ntsc codec, will that work better? and what about quality issues? Also is going to BETA SP not digibeta.

Thanks.
September 11, 2007 04:26PM
> They received the self contained movie and could not open it!!

Did you make sure to affix a .mov extension to the file? Do they have the codec you'd used?

You should probably just get them to give you their specs before you go around and around in circles trying to make something they can use.

The Avid machines I've used come with the Apple DV NTSC codec, so that's something to try.

www.derekmok.com
September 11, 2007 06:21PM
<<<They are using PC and running avid.>>>

If the work isn't hours long, the Windows AVI export isn't terrible--especially if you choose maximum quality. The file size will be enormous, but an uncompressed AVI looks just fine. That's how we get back and forth between the machines--especially the older ones that can't speak anything else.

The other one is to create a gently compressed Windows Media file with Flip4Mac. I think they got the bugs out of the latest hassle with QuickTime 7.

For the really adventurous, we found the native Avid compression codecs on line somewhere. AvidMeridianSomethingSomething. I think I can find them again if I needed to.

Here:

[www.avid.com]

Koz
September 11, 2007 08:27PM
I think these people need to give you some specifics. Otherwise you'll just be wasting time and money guessing what they need. I get graphic designers asking me all the time what they should deliver and I'm sure they wouldn't be very happy if I just said, oh, just make it a psd or something. They want a lot more info than that. If you're delivering for broadcast, you need a lot more info than just mpeg-4.

Ask them to please give you the delivery specs.

September 11, 2007 08:38PM
Used to be that sending to AVID was a matter of getting the codec from them and you're done. But there are so many types of legacy systems out there, some even using the old AVR resolutions that you'll still have to know what kind of system is on the other end and the resolution they're working in.
If you know it's going to BetaSP, a really good educated guess would be AVID Meridian 2:1, just called 2:1 in their codec. It's one codec as I remember and the compression is set in "options".
When sending stuff to dumb receptors (dumb as in unable/unwilling to talk back) you have to make sure everything has extensions and sending things in various codecs, ranging from the old'n'reliable to new hotness is always a good idea when you can manage it.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics