Do I need to convert 24p to 30 for DVD playback?

Posted by Brad Eisner 
Do I need to convert 24p to 30 for DVD playback?
September 12, 2007 06:27AM
Hello Everyone,

I have edited my Feature (shot in 24p) in a FCP 23.98 Timeline. I have also Exported it to Compressor in the same (NTSC, 4:3, 23.98). I am about to author the DVD in Studio Pro and I am wondering, do I need to do something else to make it playable on a standard DVD deck?

My concern is that I have heard that 23.98 (24p) needs to be converted to 29.97 (30i) to play on a standard deck; otherwise it will only work in a progressive scanner. But, perhaps this is done automatically? I just do not know; perhaps someone here does.

So, can anyone tell me ? do I need to do something else to my 23.98 footage before putting it on a DVD to get it to play in a standard NTSC deck?

Thanks.
Re: Do I need to convert 24p to 30 for DVD playback?
September 12, 2007 08:43AM
The content definitely needs to be played as NTSC on an NTSC television but the real question is - "can the DVD player perform the pull down on playback from a 24P DVD?"

It probably safest to convert the 23.98 to 29.97 before building the DVD. I believe Compressor 3 can do the conversion.
September 12, 2007 08:58AM
> "can the DVD player perform the pull down on playback from a 24P DVD?"

DVD players don't care about frame rates. You can build a DVD right from a 23.98fps movie file and it will play on a regular DVD player. I've done it plenty of times.

> My concern is that I have heard that 23.98 (24p) needs to be converted to 29.97 (30i) to play
> on a standard deck

Tape decks, yes. SD tape only runs at 29.97fps.

www.derekmok.com
September 12, 2007 09:53AM
Leave it 23.98. If you convert o 29.97, you invite interlace and jaggie problems when the DVD is played on computers.

Koz
September 14, 2007 04:44AM
Noah Kadner's DVD "24P Digital Post Production with FCP and the Panasonic DVX100 has a chapter on this very issue. Check out www.callboxlive.com It's a bargain at $75 for a 2 hour DVD.

Noah moderates a forum at www.dvxuser.com

Check it out for all your 24P questions.
September 15, 2007 11:02PM
Definitely stay at 23.98- that's perfect for a DVD that will look awesome on a progressive display such as a computer monitor and the DVD player automatically adds 3:2 pulldown for NTSC display. 99% of Hollywood DVD's you buy today are encoded at 23.98. More details on my DVD. In fact we have a sample of how to do a 24p DVD here:

-Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics