subtitles on letterbox DVD below the image

Posted by panama 
subtitles on letterbox DVD below the image
September 20, 2007 10:22PM
We are submitting our dv film (24p, 16:9) to sundance in a few days...yikes!
Does anyone know how to get the subtitles to appear below the actual image? Instead of just superimposed on the lower third of the screen? We saw this on a few foreign dvds recently when viewed letterboxed on a regular 4:3 tv monitor and it just changes everything...
We tried in DVD studio pro as well and we cant seem to find that option...
We have final cut studio 5...unlikely we can upgrade before the deadline.
Re: subtitles on letterbox DVD below the image
September 21, 2007 05:24AM
Seems to be the week of subtitles.

You have to create a 'letterboxed' version of your movie first.

Andreas
September 21, 2007 09:06PM
Thanks!
I think I did that...at least I exported the quicktime file from final cut as 16:9, which if you then put in a regular tv appears letterbox. But, is there another export option I should be aware of?
September 21, 2007 11:01PM
What you need to do is export as 4:3. The widescreen picture gets the bars top and bottom because it is much wider than the standard 4:3 picture, so when you pull in the edges to make it fit, naturally you shrink the top and bottom too, leaving black background, aka letterbox bars.

If you export as 4:3 you will have letterbox bars that are onscreen, so you can add titles there, as long as they are inside the title safe areas.

If you export as 16:9 and play on a standard TV your aspect could be wrong (depending on your DVD player) and there won't be any real space to add titles, as your picture is already filling the frame from top to bottom.

More info here : Editing with anamorphic footage

and here : Making 4:3 footage work in 16:9

September 22, 2007 07:34PM
Thanks as well Jude...
Looking at those articles, I think I may be in problems:

My footage is dvx100b squeezed footage, 24p...which I captured accordingly (advanced pulldown removal for the framerate and I checked anamorphic for the dimensions).

In my sequence presets, I selected anamorphic as well and 23.98. This is what I understood in order to make an anamorphic quicktime file when I exported...

But now that I want to export as letterbox...am I doomed because of my sequence settings? After reading this reply I tried to export as 4:3 (I selected "custom" and adjusted the dimensions to 4:3, leaving the framerate at 23.98) and the quicktime file I get doesnt have any black bars...

Help!
September 22, 2007 08:21PM
> but now that I want to export as letterbox...am I doomed because of my sequence settings?

Not at all. Read this:

[www.lafcpug.org]

www.derekmok.com
September 22, 2007 09:28PM
ok! got it. Thanks so much!

As for the 23.98 bit...I`m assuming I export a 23.98 quicktime file as well...then in dvd studio pro are there any settings I should be aware of? Can I upres to HD too?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics