Odd Multicam Issue in FCP5.1.4

Posted by Josh B 
Odd Multicam Issue in FCP5.1.4
September 27, 2007 08:55AM
If i scratch my head any more over this one, all my hair is going to fall out!...

Ok so we've got an multicam edit going on but we've come up against a odd bug and i can't get my head around it. at the moment the editor is working wih 4 cameras. we had a few issues persuading FCP to keep the sync open, and making sure that the 4 cams played in real time, as often the multicam playback seemed to stop!
The issue is that when the multicam playback DOSN'T work in the slug he can 'cut to camera N' using his assined num pad keys fine - but of course he can't watch the multicam playback... as soon as wel get the playback to run it looks fine - as he cuts between cameras the markers are placed on the sequence. As soon as he stops though the markers disapear and no cuts are made...

we're stumped. any help would be much appreciated...

As a side note... has anyone sucessfully got the advertised 3 streams of DVCProHD off a 1TB GRAID (connected over FW800) - we can get two streams fine (1080i) of the 1TB GRAIDS (they are a bit over half full) but struggle to get 2 of a 500GB GRAID - (which has a couple of hundred gigs free)
Re: Odd Multicam Issue in FCP5.1.4
September 27, 2007 12:18PM
To help track the Multi cam playback turning on and off, add the multicam playback button to your button bar in the timeline or canvas. It's a toggle button so it "lights up" in green when it's on.
If your editor is using the default keyboard then the number pad is switching to angle not cutting. That would be the explanation for the blue locaters disappearing with no effect after you hit stop.

Mapping "Sync Off" "Open" and "Gang" as well as "Multiclip playback" to your keyboard allows you to goose the multicam playback which can go astray if you are turning off and on tracks, hiding clips, or loading stuff into the viewer.

You could also be seeing this problem as a result of your drive issues. If the drives are maxing out, switching is too sluggish and playback in general can get stuttery.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
Re: Odd Multicam Issue in FCP5.1.4
September 28, 2007 03:46AM
Hey Andrew,

Yeah i double checked the keyboard (probably triple checked it in disbelief!) but its definitly set to cut and not switch. - whats odd is that when sync is open then it won't work, but as soon as sync is ganged then it will work. But of course trying to cut between shots when you can't see what they actually are is not very helpfull!

Yeah, at the moment we're just sticking to 2 streams per G-RAID and that is working fine, although unfortunatly i just can't get the advertised 3streams that G-Tech claim.

Mapping the sync and multiclip playbacks to his pad is a good call though i'll suggest it - until then he's just dropping the angles onto a sequence and manually cutting between them as the multicam is just not reliable enough!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics