Black and White

Posted by hellowriter 
Black and White
April 18, 2006 08:40PM
Hey all,

Elementary question here. I'm about to shoot a short on DV. I'm hoping to have it Black and White.

Should I set it black and white on my camera or should I do that later on Final Cut? Any tips on shooting in black and white?

Thanks!

Re: Black and White
April 18, 2006 08:50PM
OH GOD NO!!!!, what if for some reason you want to go back to color one day???
April 18, 2006 09:06PM
Shoot colour and then make it black and white later in FCP. That gives you much more flexibility -- for example, you can desaturate *almost* to the point of black and white, or tint it. The Desaturate and Color Corrector filters can both turn footage black and white.
April 19, 2006 06:02AM
What they said, although when shooting, lighting for B&W is much different than lighting for color. Proper contrast is crucial, and when f-stopping down, you don't want the blacks full of artifacts. Think about having a good B&W monitor solution on set during shoot to make sure you're getting the photographic look you want.

Clay
April 19, 2006 08:37AM
Also, you can use a RGB mixer plugin to make your black and white from a combo of R, G and B, to your choosing, and this can make for superb tweaking and looks.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
April 19, 2006 12:10PM
<<<a RGB mixer plugin to make your black and white from a combo of R, G and B, to your choosing>>>

See: Ansel Adams.

A lot of his black and white work wasn't straight black and white. It was black and white film exposed through red (Wratten 25) and yellow (Wratten 9, 12, 15) filters to distort the color pallet to gain special effects.

[masters-of-photography.com]

It is said that you could expose color film/video and get the same effects in post (Darkroom/Mac).

Koz

April 19, 2006 02:02PM
Graeme, could you go into a little detail about using the RGB mixer plugin for BW? I've often heard about this technique, but am not really aware of how you specifically apply it to your clips. Do you desaturate first and then apply the RGB plugin?

Andy
April 19, 2006 02:17PM
[www.nattress.com] is the plugin I use for this. You don't desaturate first, as the plugin needs the RGB info to work.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
April 20, 2006 03:56PM
You can also use the FCP color corrector filters to control levels and control saturation. I usually use that for BW work.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics