I received avi files on a dvd from the UK - how do I import them into FCP5?

Posted by filmman 
I received avi files on a dvd from the UK - how do I import them into FCP5?
April 18, 2006 09:32PM
I received a DVD from a friend in the UK. It has avi files. I captured them into FCP using a PAL setting to PhotoJPEG. I had to render them, but although I can see the images when I move the timeline or hit play in the canvas window, the picture freezes while the sound goes on. They rendered okay, so I don't know what to do next. Shall I export the files after being rendered to QT movie conversion? What settings shall I use?
Re: I received avi files on a dvd from the UK - how do I import them into FCP5?
April 19, 2006 12:02AM
How did you capture them? Did you mean to say that you imported them? Import and capture are two completely different things. Importing uses and doesn't change the original file. Capturing creates new media which may or may not be based on the same settings as the original file.

If you imported them, I'd say your problem is that you're trying to use AVI files. FCP doesn't really like them. Your best bet is to convert them into another format using Quicktime or some other conversion program (maybe Compressor will do it too).

However, sometimes there will be a color/luminance shift. That happened to me once. In that case, the files had to be converted to quicktime on a PC instead of a mac. Not sure why but it fixed the problem.

Andy
April 19, 2006 01:17AM
I imported them into a PAL DV project and then rendered them. Now I'm wondering what to convert them to so I can work with them in FCP5?
April 19, 2006 05:52AM
Open the avi's first using the QT Player. Then export them from the QT Player to something you can edit with. Try DV PAL. The pixel dimensions should be set to 720x576 (or 1024x576 if it's 16:9).

Then just import the converted QT's into FCP (DV PAL timline) and you should be able to edit no problem.

Clay
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics