HDV to Betacam SP

Posted by Rebelpuma 
HDV to Betacam SP
October 10, 2007 05:09PM
Hi everybody.
I shot a video in HDV. I converted it to DV by iLink (firewire) in order to edit it and save space in my hard disks. But the TV station demands high quality standards and I think that DV won't be enough. I want to know how to get the maximum quality of HDV material if I have to give the TV station a final master in Betacam SP.
I appreciate your suggestions.
Re: HDV to Betacam SP
October 10, 2007 11:36PM
That may have been unwise-- HDV is about the same bandwidth as DV! And by downconverting to DV format, you've lost HD resolution. The upside is, dubs from HDV to DV often look better than DV native!

However, if the station doesn't demand HD, you should be fine mastering to a Sony DVCAM deck such as a DSR-45 or 1800 with component out, and rent a component-in beta SP deck to dub your DV master video and audio. You'll also need a blackburst generator connected to both units for a common external clock signal. Have someone familiar with this setup help.

If you price out rentals and find it's better (and easier) to bring your DVCAM to a dubbing house for a Beta SP master, that's an option. Check around. The result should pass muster on any but network centers, or PBS.

For broadcast, you should include in the DVCAM master, the standard NTSC color bars, 1K tone, slate and two seconds black before first frame on content, and add slug of 30 seonds at the tail.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Invoke the Audio Mixer with Option-6 !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics