DV spec

Posted by Baiame 
DV spec
October 09, 2007 10:29PM
Hello. This isn't directly related to Final Cut, but I was directed to this site by my Digital Editing and Media Literacy instructor when I asked her this question. Where can I find the DV spec (for free)? I want to write a very specialized effect that is also a massive computational task; a low-level language is preferable. Also, I don't want to have to learn another language just for this task. Thanks for any info.
Re: DV spec
October 09, 2007 11:16PM
What kind of information do you need to know - frame size and rates, or more in depth? If so, what specifically? Also, there are several standards of DV - at least need to choose between PAL and NTSC. Or allow for both.

October 09, 2007 11:18PM
Sorry, forgot to specify that (I made the post in class). I'm after the DV-NTSC spec, at a resolution of 640*480 and whatever the standard (24 bit?) color depth is. I don't think framerates are relevant to my purposes, but whatever the closest thing to 'standard' is (24 fps?) best. Thanks.
October 09, 2007 11:31PM
The DV Spec is explained in depth at WikiPedia, but not sure what it has to do with creating a specialized effect.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 10, 2007 02:59PM
Thanks Michael, but I'd already looked at the Wikipedia article; it doesn't have the info I need. Now that I'm at home I can be far more specific.

What I need is a byte-for-byte explanation of a raw DV-NTSC file. So, at which byte offsets the headers are located, what the headers mean, where the actual video starts, what (if anything) is put before a frame of video, and so on.

It's relevant to creating a specialized effect because I want (and possibly need) to do so in a low-level language.
October 23, 2007 06:43PM
Anyone?
October 23, 2007 06:51PM
You are asking the question to the WRONG PEOPLE. We are all editors...people who USE the product. Creative types with some level of tech. But what you are asking is a DEEP video engineering question. You won't get the answer here.

You need to talk to video engineers.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
October 23, 2007 09:06PM
Hi Klaus

The only article I've read with anywhere near this level of information is this: www.sony.ca/dvcam/pdfs/dvcam%20format%20overview.pdf

It may not contain enough on the data stream that I guess you will want to manipulate though.

So my suggestions is; the best people to ask would be SONY themselves and get in touch with their R&D dept or someone in charge of DVCAM development.

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics