Capturing progressive footage from sony pd150

Posted by davidsan 
Capturing progressive footage from sony pd150
October 28, 2007 11:09AM
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and i hope you can give me some advice. I shot some progressive DV footage on a Sony PD150 PAL camera. But apparently it is not real 24p progressive, but actually 12p frames a second, each frame doubles to make up 24 frames it seems.

I am now trying to capture this footage on FCP 5, but i am a bit lost as to which easy setup/capture settings i should be using for it.

Can anyone help me?

David
Re: Capturing progressive footage from sony pd150
October 28, 2007 11:26AM
DV/NTSC. Just your basic setup.

There is nothing you can do to fix the horrid "cine-frame" mode of the Sony camera. Once recorded that way, that's it.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
October 28, 2007 10:20PM
Hi Shane,

I can live with the jerkiness, as i am cutting it with super8 footage. It might work just fine in context. However, the image looks like it's half the resolution of what i'm seeing 'in-camera'. On sharp contrasty areas, it looks extra steppy, aliased.

Any thoughts?

david
October 28, 2007 11:58PM
> the image looks like it's half the resolution of what i'm seeing 'in-camera'.

If you're talking about the camera's LCD screen, keep in mind that the LCD screen is about 1/16 the size of a proper TV monitor. Everything looks sharper, more saturated, and livelier when you shrink it down.

www.derekmok.com
October 29, 2007 05:53AM
Hi Derek,

Yes, it looks great on the camera's LCD screen, but it also looks great in the log n capture window of FCP. It's only after i capture, when it's in a clip that it has aliasing artifacts.

?

david
October 29, 2007 09:07AM
> Yes, it looks great on the camera's LCD screen, but it also looks great in the log n capture
> window of FCP.

Unfortunately neither place you're talking about is an accurate gauge of what the final image looks like. If you want to rule out wrong capture settings, watch the tape by hooking up the camera to a broadcast monitor, thus taking FCP out of the equation.

I'm also wondering if you need to reverse-telecine the footage. Even if it's "fake" 24p, does it add pulldown on top of that? I'm not familiar with this camera and this setting either.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics