Bad SATA Cable/Drive?

Posted by TVTerry 
Bad SATA Cable/Drive?
October 26, 2007 03:20PM
I am running a Dual 2GHz Power PC G5 with 2.5GB RAM, OS 10.4.1 and FCP 5.1.4. Just recently I encountered problems while trying to export a 5 minute sequence nested with timecode generator on it and I got the dreaded beachball. Eventually the ever-so-vague "general error" message comes up...but I still have a locked up program. Two days previously I did the same thing just fine. I'm exporting to my internal SATA video drive (200 GB with 85 GB free). I can open the drive just fine, play projects saved to it fine, but when I try to export a QT movie to it, she locks up. I ran disk utilities on the drive and it checks out fine. I re-seated the cables and that didn't help. I trashed prefs and that didn't help...but when I went to reset my scratch disk to the SATA drive-- you guessed it, I get the beachball.
My question is: Does this sound like a bad drive? A bad cable? Or something else completely? I would think if it's a bad drive or cable, I wouldn't be able to access the drive at all.
Thanks for any help at all!
Terry

PS - I should also tell you that when trying to open an iDVD project saved to the drive, that program locks up as well. This makes me lean to thinking it's a bad drive or cable. Also, when I try to run disk utilities after the beachball without re-booting, disk utilities just spins with "gathering disk information". Finally it says it's ready, but then when I try to verify, I get "Verify volume failed with error Could not unmount disk." But after a fresh restart, it's fine. Uggghhh!
Re: Bad SATA Cable/Drive?
October 26, 2007 07:22PM
Is this your boot drive or a separate SATA drive? If you are doing this for iDVD, why aren't you exporting a Quicktime Reference file instead? What is the codec in the timeline (Sequence Settings)?

If I were you, I would back up everything on that unit to a Firewire drive post haste before it eats itself (sounds like that's what's happening).

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

October 26, 2007 09:36PM
Also, run diskwarrior on your machine. It sounds like it's getting flakey.

October 27, 2007 08:04AM
This is a second drive, not my boot drive. It's a Maxtor 200GB SATA. It doesn't matter if I export a self-contained movie or a reference file...either way she locks up! It seems whatever data I try to put on or take off that drive locks her up...but when I initially power up, I can access the files on there fine. Just when trying to do something after that is where the problems start.
The sequence settings for the timeline are DV/DVCPRO-NTSC....which has never changed.

I think I'll be trying Disc Warrior and see if I can't save the drive! If that doesn't help, looks like it's drive-shopping time!

Thanks for the help!
Terry
October 30, 2007 09:54AM
Hey terry,
Everything you've mentioned thats working is when your reading from the drive - but when your trying to export your qt its writing to the drive, so it would be good to work out whether its a fcp issue or a drive issue. Have you tried copying some files to the drive from the finder etc and checking read/write from outside of FCP? -

Tell me to shut up if you've tried this and im not reading but if it only hangs in fcp have you trashed cache's and prefs, and if its a computer wide issue have you or can you try re-formatting the drive?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics