Apple Intermediate HDV codec printing to HDV camcorder??

Posted by tedjyc 
Apple Intermediate HDV codec printing to HDV camcorder??
October 29, 2007 02:17PM
I've captured and finished editing an HDV program into the apple intermediate codec & it will not print to tape back to my Sony Z1 camera. I'm guessing that I can only do this if I capture in HDV native correct?

Any suggestions on the easiest way to do it now? Use the media manager to make an HDV copy, deletet the media files and maybe the program will sucessfully recapture into native HDV if I set it up for that, or start over and capture all the footage in native HDV and re-edit.

HELP!!
Re: Apple Intermediate HDV codec printing to HDV camcorder??
October 29, 2007 02:28PM
Not so. You should be able to conform AIC and output using print to video. What exactly are you doing and what exactly happens when you do it? Oh and it might be helpful to know a little about your system, like what computer is this, what OS are you using, what version of the application, what version of QuickTime, what drives, how is everything connected. Oh and try trashing your preferences and rebooting just before running print to video.
October 29, 2007 08:41PM
Great news,

I have a G4 dual 1.4Mhz w/1.5Gig ram running OS 10.4.9 and FCP 5.1.4. I captured onto a 2 drive LeCie firewire drive. I set the AV settings capture preset to HDV-Apple Intermediate Codec. I had no problems capturing from the Sony Z1 running 60i HDV videotape.
To play the sequence time line, each clip had to be rendered (about 5 min. for each 2 min. clip) I then edited the 40 min. of source material to 15 min. with about 20 cuts. I then tried the print to video. It rendered about 2 hrs. then played back the program timeline but the camcorder never went into record. (It did not have HDV to DV downconvert on & was set to 60i.) I got no error that the VCR was off line.
Any ideas?
October 29, 2007 11:03PM
Assuming the settings are correct, was the automatically start recording box checked? You may still have to manually initiate record on the camera. You might want to run through the procedure again, and test it while monitoring the camera, see what appears on the viewscreen.
October 30, 2007 12:08PM
yes the box was cked. I also tried it with the box uncked & starting the camera manually but the camera goes into record but with no incoming video being received or viewable on the cameras viewfinder. The tape's record safety tab was set to allow recording.

The camera can record firewire from an other Z1 but doesn't see programing coming out of the Mac's firewire port (though the HDV light on the side of the camera lights when the cable is plugged in & the same cable can record to the mac.
October 30, 2007 12:14PM
If you did the trash preferences and reboot steps prior to PTV then I'm at a loss why it doesn't work for you.
October 30, 2007 01:13PM
He's not working with HDV at this point, is he?

Copy/paste sequence into NEW HDV 1080i60 sequence and render. Then try to print THAT to tape. If that doesn't work, then you need to export an HDV 1080i60 QT movie, open another new 1080i60 sequence, import the 1080i60 QT movie into the new timeline and print that to tape.

I've been down this road and this is the recommendation Larry Jordan gave me which has worked every time. The difference is that I was native HDV the whole time.

I've found HDV workflow to be very finicky for no apparent reason on a wide range of situations.
October 30, 2007 04:50PM
Tim,
thanks for the advice. I will try this but it is so render intensive on my system I will try and brief native HDV test record/print to tape first (which I should've done before starting on this program.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics