Need help importing XML file from FCP 6.0 into FCP 5.0

Posted by ixschell 
Need help importing XML file from FCP 6.0 into FCP 5.0
October 31, 2007 11:17AM
Hi,

An editor tweaked my trailer in FCP 6.0. (He has a G5 and just got Leopard two days ago - I have a G5 running OSX 10.4.10). He gave me four XML files. I can't open any of them. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong because I've never done this before.

This is what I did.
I opened a new project. Under FILE, I went to Import - "XML" file. A menu come up with choices.

Default Settings: DV NTSC 48 kHz
Options checked reconnect to media files, include Markers, include Audio/Video Effects . I then get a message that says "WARNING: Non-critical errors were found while processing an XML document. Would ou like to see a log of those errors now?

When the sequence is in the time line, it's barely there. It has one line of video with mostly slug line and no audio. It's incomplete.

When I tried another XML file, I got a message "Please choose a translation file." I don't know what that is. So, I got ERROR: No translation templates matching the selected XML file were found. Unable to import this file.

The editor who sent this to me has no idea what the problem is. He put a fair amount of work into the trailer and now I can't use it. Does anyone know how to import this file successfully?

Thank you so much!
Colleen
Re: Need help importing XML file from FCP 6.0 into FCP 5.0
October 31, 2007 01:34PM
Sounds like you got something from one or two or them. FCP 6.0 has three versions of XML export. Have your editor try a test file using each version and label it so you both now which prototcol works best. FCP 5 has two versions, as I recall. Version 1.0 would be the most conservative-- common to both.

Save the sequence first to update all metadata. Sometimes this checkbox isn't checked and you may not be getting an updated sequence.

To export a sequence, select the sequence icon from the Browser. In the timeline make sure no Ins or Outs are selected nor anything highlighted.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Invoke your Favorites bin with Command-6 !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
October 31, 2007 04:26PM
Hi Loren,

My editor gave me four versions and he labled each one. None of them worked. I don't understand what you mean when you said to "Save the Sequence first to update the metadata." Is that some the editor does to the XML file he sends me or do I do it? The editor has FCP 6.0. I have 5.0.
October 31, 2007 04:58PM
hi, ix.

there are a few versions of the XML language.
each version of FCP uses a different one,
so the other editor was correct in giving you multiple versions.

for what it;s worth here's an XML compatibility list:
(can be found in this Lafcpug FAQ [www.lafcpug.org])

XML / FCP version Compatibility

Use XML version 1 for going to Final Cut Pro 4.1
Use XML version 2 for going to Final Cut Pro 5.0
Use XML version 3 for going to Final Cut Pro 5.1.2
Use XML version 4 for going to Final Cut Pro 6

that list was compiled Andreas Keil, a noted XML genius who often hangs around here.
According to Adnreas,
XMLs need to be SIMPLE in order to work.

also one thing that XMLs dont really like is lots of tracks of audio.
audio that is supposed to be linked can come out un-linked thanks to XMLs.

i dont know if this is your problem.
are there many effects in your trailer?
maybe you could try an EDL?

you;d need a separate EDL for each track of video.

hey, that gives me an idea:
how about simplifying the timeline for XML hand-over?

try a video only XML,
or one track at a time XML.

your editor might have to make multiple copies of the final sequence and delete elements in each copy.

another thought.
you say you are running v5.0.
any .0 release of an app is going to be buggy.
you should probably use software update and move on up to 5.04.

of course upgrading to 6.01 would solve the problem, too smiling smiley

cheers,
nick
November 01, 2007 08:16AM
[I don't understand what you mean when you said to "Save the Sequence first to update the metadata." Is that some(thing) the editor does to the XML file he sends me or do I do it? The editor has FCP 6.0. I have 5.0.]

Your editor does it when exporting to you. There's a "save" checkbox which should be enabled so it saves automatically to guarantee the latest changes are in the XML.

Nice matrix, Nick! Handy reference.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Invoke your Favorites bin with Command-6 !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
November 01, 2007 08:29AM
for what it's worth,
today i exported a fairly simple XML from FCP 6.04,
and tried to open it in FCP 5.04.

no go.
one video track, and no audio.

this want an experiment,
it was for a job i'm doing...

i'l be trying what i suggested:
XML of each track

wish me luck!
nick
November 01, 2007 10:02AM
Hi Nick,

Thanks so much for letting me know about your XML experiment! When I tried it, I got one video track that had no resemblance to the sequence. It had one a few clips with mostly slug line and blank sections. I'm looking forward to hearing about your next experiment!

Good Luck!!!!

Thanks Again!!!
Colleen
November 01, 2007 11:52AM
Hi Nick & Colleen

Even though the XML / FCP version Compatibility is a good start to make projects backward compatible it's not a guarantee that it will work.
Each of the official versions do have some subversions and sometimes it doesn't help to export simple tracks only (simple tracks can only be created by duplicating the sequence and delete the tracks you don't want to include - disabling tracks has no effect).
Best would be to post some examples of things which won't work and I'll have a look.

Andreas
November 01, 2007 02:00PM
Hi Andreas,

I made screen captures. How do I attach them or where do I send them?

Colleen
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics