HD-CAM online question...

Posted by makkystyle 
HD-CAM online question...
November 02, 2007 01:00PM
Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the help over this process of editing this feature. Things have gone amazingly well and we are just about to lock picture and I'm going to begin onlining this thing. Again the requisite specs...

Mac Pro 4x3Ghz, 4GB RAM
Kona 3
3TB G-Tech RAID
FCP 5.1.4

So I edited this feature 720p23.98 DVCPROHD and am now going to online from our 1080 HDCAM Masters. I want to capture uncompressed and lay back to HDCAM tape to send these to our post house for color correction.

Reading through Sony's web site it states that HDCAM is an 8-bit 3:1:1 format.

So my questions is: if I capture this footage through my Kona in the "AJA Kona3: 1080psf 23.98 8 Bit" format then lay this back to HDCAM tape will I lose any quality of the picture? Also, using the AJA data rate calculator it lists RGB and YUV compression... which should I use in this process?

My color correction house will then capture from these tapes in Uncompressed 10-bit RGB for grading then master to HDCAMSR.

Just want to check with the masters before continuing forward.

Best,

Todd
Re: HD-CAM online question...
November 02, 2007 01:10PM
> So I edited this feature 720p23.98 DVCPROHD and am
> now going to online from our 1080 HDCAM Masters.
> I want to capture uncompressed and lay back to
> HDCAM tape to send these to our post house for
> color correction.
>
Why? Why are you going to capture, then output, then have them capture, then output? Yes, that will result in quality loss. Not much, but there will be quality loss. Why not have THEM capture the footage, then color correct in their system? Or are they going to color correct on a DaVinci?

Can you please lay out ALL your steps...I got your end, but what will THEY be using/doing? And who are they?

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
November 02, 2007 06:30PM
Hi Shane,

Thanks for the reply. The reason for doing the online myself is ultimately to save the expense. There are a lot of competing costs and I would rather save that money for an extra day or two of grading or a music license to one of the tracks we use. I will work at a post house to correct on a Lustre in 10-bit 4:4:4 color space.

Thoughts?
November 02, 2007 06:41PM
Renting an HDCAM deck for a day is $1000. So you spend a day or two capturing (depends on how much footage and how smoothly things go), then you have to OUTPUT to tape...and you have to know how to use that deck. This isn't a DVCAM deck...or even a digibeta. This deck is FAR more complex. I don't know how to use this deck...that is something for engineers and machine room operators. The sucker has two menus, and one is hidden. Unless you know the deck, you will have issues.

SO there you have 2 days of deck rental, minimum. $2000. If you take your show to a Post house, DR Group, PlasterCity post...have them capture for you and color correct, it will work out to be a MUCH better deal.

HDCAM isn't all that simple. There is a reason that I go to a post facility for my final outputs.

But, if you think you can do it....go for it. I just think that you are taking more steps than necessary that can introduce possible issues. Capture, then output, then have them capture? Why not give them the FCP project file, let them capture, color correct, then output. Done.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
November 02, 2007 07:35PM
To back Shane up, if you don't have a handle on sync and blackburst, get ready for FUN when you try to mess with an HDCAM deck. Finicky is a nice way of putting it and you don't just pop a basic NTSC blackburst genny on the Ref In. You can get lucky but at $1000/day, you don't want luck you want bootiful pikchas.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics