Generating timecode

Posted by salem 
Generating timecode
July 19, 2006 03:45PM
Is there a way to generate/superimpose the timecode off the timeline onto a video output. Essentailly I want to superimpose the video and timecode of my sequence (made of numerous clips totaling 45 min) run it through my DV deck and on to a VHS machine

Thanks
Re: Generating timecode
July 19, 2006 04:00PM
There are two filters you can use. One is called Timecode reader and the other is called Timecode generator. Nest your sequence and apply one of these filters. You'll probably want timecode reader (which reads the native timecode of your sequence). Timecode generator is useful if you want to generate timecode like 30ndf from a 24fps sequence. More detailed info is in the manual.
July 19, 2006 06:26PM
Great trick courtesy of Nick Meyers:

Create an ordinary FCP Text object in the Viewer (CONTROL-X). Go into the Controls tab and erase the words "Sample Text". Now put the Text object into your timeline and apply Timecode Reader to it. The Text object now acts like a layer for the timecode burn. When you don't want it, just select it and press CONTROL-B (Clip Disable). When you want it back, select and press CONTROL-B to enable it again. This saves the nesting step.
November 03, 2007 05:43PM
You can do this with a Slug too and eliminate the step of deleting the words "Simple Text". I use this when making off-line DVD with TC Burn in. I do crop the slug to be a bit bigger than the TC.
November 03, 2007 06:40PM
> You can do this with a Slug too and eliminate the step of deleting the words "Simple Text".

Not the same. A Slug isn't transparent.

www.derekmok.com
November 03, 2007 07:03PM
you can crop the slug..
hey, he says that's what he does!

i haven't timed it in a while,
but i think the (no)title overlay renders faster.

peaking of rendering,
if you have an existing export,
bring that back in and add the TC reader to that.
it'll be faster than rendering all your fx, again, if you have any.

and don't forget QTSync:
[www.qtsync.com]

this ads a TC window, with NO FCP rendering required.

it uses a QuickTime text file, embedded in a QuickTime reference movie,
so not recommended if you are sending the file out,
but fine if you are wrangling it yourself and making a VHS dub

(VHS! glad to hear someone still use it!)

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics