HDV Timecode Errors

Posted by mybuddybrad 
HDV Timecode Errors
May 24, 2007 12:16PM
I am encountering a very bizarre error in Final Cut Pro 5.1.4. WWhen I attempt to batch capture HDV footage I am often encountering an error that reads "Unable to locate timecode". FCP will control the deck aand come close to the timecode, but will simply move back and forth a second or so before the TC. I have tried different decks, projects, tapes, and cables. I have created new projects, and used old projects. FCP has no problem with DV footage, only HDV. Every so often if I change the Easy Setup options between HDV a60i and HDV 601 basic, it will work with the basic setting. But iinconsistently. If anyone has encountered this problem or has any suggestions I am all ears. Thank you for your help ahead of time.
Re: HDV Timecode Errors
May 24, 2007 02:45PM
I just went through this with some HDV tapes. Every time there was a start/stop on the tape (where the operator pressed record) there was a TC jump of about 15-20 frames, enough to trip up the capture process. I left the machine alone for a few hours and when I came back it had only captured about 10 minutes worth and was just shuttling back and forth, trying to locate the break and continue. I've heard that this is true of most, if not all HDV cameras -- not sure if that's right but it's damned frustrating.

Is your TC break occuring in the middle of a take or is it only at the start/stop points? If so you may need to just reset your in and out points so they're within the take and don't include the break.

JK

November 06, 2007 01:25AM
Did you ever solve this? I'm scouring the forum for the solution. seems to have popped up before but no answers so far--at least not posted.

I've been having the same problem forever! Help!
trying to capture from sony hdv-z1u to fcp 4.5
some tapes were shot DV
some were shot HDV but I'm downconverting to DV

I can't even get ONE single capture! it looks around and says "can't find timecode" from the first time I hit "capture clip."

any luck?
anybody?

thanks,
Lara
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics