Feature offline- codec?

Posted by TimMirk 
Feature offline- codec?
November 07, 2007 08:24PM
28 day shoot, 2 cameras, estimating roughly 4 hours a day coming in- or 120 hours!

Dailies are likely coming in DVCAM, will capture and reverse telecine for 23.98 editing.

Should I just stick with DV codec, since I'll have the drivespace, and just go for it?

What about pjpeg. I hear go pjpeg at 75%. Opinions? How will this effect performance if at all?

Systems are a Dual 2.0 G5, 4.5gbRAM, Kona LS and a Macpro 2x2.6, 4gbram, Kona LSe, both systems will have cloned 2.5tb external sata raid 0.
Re: Feature offline- codec?
November 07, 2007 08:33PM
I'd just capture at full DV resolution. Avoid the headaches of onlining/offlining. Once you reverse-telecine, your file sizes will go down. However, are you sure you even want to reverse-telecine? If you're going back out to an SD tape master, then you should probably stick with 29.97fps.

If possible (assuming this is narrative film), I'd log the clips properly so that you can get rid of takes you know you're not going to use without having to use Media Manager.

www.derekmok.com
November 07, 2007 08:37PM
Derek...DAILIES are coming in on DVCAM...this means that the film was shot on film, and that film was telecined to DVCAM.

I vote for just catpuring at DV quality, seeing that you have the space.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
November 07, 2007 08:51PM
I also vote for DV. No need to make it more complicated than it has to be.

November 07, 2007 09:09PM
> DAILIES are coming in on DVCAM...this means that the film was shot on film, and that film was
> telecined to DVCAM.

120 hours on film!? Holy (Creative) Cow. I guess I didn't make that connection because of the sheer volume.

www.derekmok.com
November 07, 2007 09:32PM
Thats about 1260GB so a 2TB RAID drive should cover you nicely. I would get an extra mirrored backup too otherwise you could end up with 5x 24 hours of solid redigitising if you lost the Storage!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics