A Reconnect Media - sort of - question

Posted by Nick Baer 
A Reconnect Media - sort of - question
April 23, 2006 12:39PM
So I am editing an interview... and chopping up the questions posed by the host, and the responses from the guest...

And I go back hours later and want to restore the audio from a cut that I had CMD-L unlinked, and then deleted the audio from, the cut on the timeline earlier.

So if I delete the audio tracks of a clip... how do I go back and put the audio back on the timeline to go with its video?

The video track of the cut is fine, I just want to put its audio back on the timeline.

I can't CMD-Z undo, because it happened hours or days - and dozens of clicks - ago.

If I try to Reconnect Media, it just reconnects the video, it doesn't make the audio re-appear. darn.

Independent photographer, film maker and Producer. In the wonderful UK.
Re: A Reconnect Media - sort of - question
April 23, 2006 12:59PM
Is "deleting" tracks the wrong approach?

Instead of deleting unwanted audio or video tracks of a clip, should I rather use "clip enable"?

I've been "deleting" to keep the appearance of the timeline a bit more neat.

ALSO - If I select a clip, and want to delete or un-"clip enable" the audio track, I have to

* select it
* CMD-L to unlink it
* unselect it
* select the track I want to delete (or un-Clip Enable)
* then delete or un-Clip Enable whatever I want to affect

To my way of thinking, there's a couple of extra mouse clicks involved there... especially so when I do a range of clips...

Independent photographer, film maker and Producer. In the wonderful UK.
April 23, 2006 04:57PM
> So if I delete the audio tracks of a clip... how do I go back and put the audio
> back on the timeline to go with its video?

Match Frame - F.

Put the timeline playhead on the clip you want, single-click the clip to select it, press F. Drag back from the Viewer into the timeline, or use Replace or Overwrite Edit.
April 23, 2006 05:03PM
Instead of deleting the audio, you can cntl+click it and then click "enable clip" -- when the checkmark is gone it is un-enabled and will be mute.

If you do this, you need to make sure you haven't also selected the video, or it will also be disabled.

Thne to get it back, you just "enable clip" again.

Mike
April 23, 2006 06:56PM
"ALSO - If I select a clip, and want to delete or un-"clip enable" the audio track, I have to

* select it
* CMD-L to unlink it
* unselect it
* select the track I want to delete (or un-Clip Enable)
* then delete or un-Clip Enable whatever I want to affect

To my way of thinking, there's a couple of extra mouse clicks involved there... especially so when I do a range of clips..."

sure are!:

* hold OPTION while you select one side of a linked clip (audio or video)
* Control B

the Option trick is also useful for selecting just a picture edit, say that you want to roll, while leaving the sound edit alone.

nick

April 23, 2006 07:04PM
I actually unlink the audio pretty much the minute I stick it into the timeline...my own personal habit. It simplifies things when you're doing transitions, trimming etc. OPTION-clicking is a great weapon to have in the arsenal, though. And since Match Frame is so easy to use, unless the audio were separate from the video, I often delete things as well so my timeline doesn't get congested.
April 23, 2006 07:21PM
the show i;ve been cutting had that treatment on it (from the original editor):
EVERYTHING was unlinked!

ouch!

it actually made MORE work for me.
when i want to trim something, i have to select 3 edits for every 1 if they'd been linked.

id say get into using Option,
or turn off timeline linking - that's Shift L to turn it off/on.

that way your clips are linked, but the timeline ignores that.

you can use OPTION in this mode, too.
as you'd imagine, it does the Opposite, and the clips then behave as linked.

cheers,
nick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics