How to export a 16x9 still from an hd sequence

Posted by jenvery 
How to export a 16x9 still from an hd sequence
October 04, 2007 12:11AM
Hi again! I also wondered how to export a still from an hd dvcpro sequence that would maintain its 16x9 shape. When I export a still the regular way it always looks squished. The only way I could get it to work was to export the whole movie through compressor to a 640x360 movie and then with Quicktime player I could export a jpeg at the right size and shape. Just wondered if there was a way to do this directly from FCP. Thanks so much, Jennifer
Re: How to export a 16x9 still from an hd sequence
October 04, 2007 12:15AM
Just export the still as squished and then crunch it back down in Photoshop by changing Image Size with Constrain Proportions turned off. Or, apply a Distort - Aspect Ratio of -33.33 to the clip and export that. That way you don't lose more than half your resolution by going to an SD timeline.

www.derekmok.com
Re: How to export a 16x9 still from an hd sequence
October 04, 2007 02:14AM
DVCPROHD uses non-square pixels, so when you pull the stills they always look squished. So for example 720p LOOKS like 1280x720 but it's actually 960x720 stretched. You need to modify them in Photoshop by setting the image size (with 'maintain proportions' unchecked) and changing the width to 1280. I've even set up a Photoshop Action so that I can just batch process all my stills at once.

JK

November 09, 2007 01:19PM
Thank you that worked! I finally got around to trying it as the client wanted higher resolution stills, so that great. Also, how do I set up a Photoshop Action? Thanks a ton! Jen
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics