Mac upgrade above 10.3.9?

Posted by PG 
PG
Mac upgrade above 10.3.9?
November 15, 2007 10:41PM
I have a Mac G-5 Tower plus a G-4 laptop and I just purchased a G-5 Intel that came with Lepord.

I cannot upgrade the G-5 Tower and laptop because I cannot upgrade past OS 10.3.9 for whatever reason. I went on-line to Apple downloads but could not upgrade past 10.3.9

Is it possible to upgrade past 10.3.9 for the standard G-5? It's not a very old machine.

Thanks for your assistance.
Re: Mac upgrade above 10.3.9?
November 15, 2007 10:43PM
10.3.9 is where Panther stopped. The next version was Tiger...10.4. That is a PURCHASED upgrade. Now we are on 10.5...LEOPARD. Again, another purchased upgrade.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
November 15, 2007 10:44PM
You have to buy a new version for those computers. Normally, each 'point' upgrade, like 10.3.2, 10.3.4, or 10.4.9, 10.4.10 are free upgrades available for download via software updtae.

But full version upgrades like 10.3 (Panther), 10.4 (Tiger), 10.5 (Leopard) must be purchased.

PG
November 16, 2007 09:20AM
Michael, Shane & Jude,

Thanks for the information RE: upgrades. I purchased Tiger 10.3 (Panther) and used the supplied discs to install the software. When I went on-line to upgrade past 10.3.9 I did not see an opportunity to purchase a further upgrade. I shall now continue my search.

Thanks again.

PG
PG
November 16, 2007 09:32AM
I just downloaded OS 10.4.10 for my G-5 that is presently running 10.3.9 and it indicates that it will not work with my present computer. It's a 1.6Ghz Power PC G-5.

Any suggestions? Thanks
November 16, 2007 09:54AM
10.3 is Panther. 10.4 is Tiger. Did you buy Tiger or Panther?

If you bought Panther, you cannot upgrade past 10.3.9 without paying more money to buy Tiger (10.4) or Leopard (10.5).

If you bought Tiger and installed Tiger, then you should be able to upgrade to 10.4.10 without trouble. We have 10.4.10 running on a G4 powerbook here, so your G5 should handle it fine. If it is a G5.

The intel version that looks like a G5 is called a Mac Pro, not a G5.

November 16, 2007 10:17AM
Well, you can to to 10.4.11 actually.

And just to add to this, 10.4 (Tiger) is a DISK you must purchase. Since it is an older OS, Apple doesn't sell it anymore...best bet would be eBay. 10.5 (Leopard) is ALSO a disk...and that is sold in stores now.

There are no more versions that you can DOWNLOAD...you are as far as you can get with 10.3.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
PG
November 16, 2007 01:32PM
I have the Tiger discs that I purchased as well as the latest Panther. However, when I attempt to upgrade my Tiger 10.3.9 to 10.4 it indicates that I cannot do it on my G-5 Tower or my G-4 laptop.

On my edit system I am running Tiger 10.4.10 but don't want to upgrade to Panther using my new discs since I am in the middle of a project.

I wanted to try out the Panther software prior to the installation on my Mac Intel.
November 16, 2007 08:07PM
OK. One more time.

PANTHER is MacOS 10.3. This is a few years old.

TIGER is MacOS 10.4. This is what most people are on right now.

LEOPARD is MacOS 10.5. This has just been released.

Each of these must be installed with disks that are purchased from Apple.

I think you have a G4 Powerbook, a G5 Powermac Tower and a Mac Pro Tower.

The MacPro (the new, Intel one) has Leopard (10.5) on it, which was installed when you bought the computer. Yes?

The G5 has Panther on it (10.3.9) which you want to upgrade to Tiger (10.4). Yes?

To do this, you must buy a copy of Tiger. Tiger is no longer being sold, as Panther is now being sold. You cannot use the disks that come with any other machine to install the operating system on another machine. These disks are specific to the purchase machine type. So any grey install disks that came with your MacPro cannot be used by the laptop or the G5.

If you want to install Tiger on the G5 or the laptop, you will have to find a second hand, or run-out copy of Tiger somewhere and buy it.

Any clearer?

PG
November 16, 2007 08:18PM
Hi Jude

Thanks so very much for your time and the information RE: Mac OS systems. I do have the black OS 10 discs not the grey ones. I purchased them. Therefore, I should be able to get beyond 10.3.9. I even down loaded 10.4.11 but it indicated that it would not upgrade.

I will continue with this pursuit tomorrow, in the meantime I am resurecting a startup drive. No fun.

Thanks again.

PG
November 16, 2007 08:57PM
So what happens when you put the black OS (Tiger(?) you still haven't said what these disks are) disks in the machine?

There's no point downloading 10.4.11 unless you have already successfully installed 10.4 from disk. At the moment, as far as I can tell, you still only have 10.3.9, which is a previous system (Panther).

In my previous post, did I get all the parameters correct? Are these the machines you are using, and the systems you would like to run on each of them?

PG
November 17, 2007 08:41AM
Hi Jude,

Thanks again for your assistance. I finally recognize the problem. The discs are black and they indeed indicate OS-10, however, I did not read the fine print that says "Tiger". 3 days ago I had eye surgery to correct for glaucoma and cataracts. That's the truth. So now I have the following:

1. A G-5 tower with OS 10.3.9
2. A G-4 laptop with OS 10.3.9
3. A new Mac Pro Intel 10.4.11

Now I have to search around to try and find OS 10.4.xx which is Leopard. e-Bay will be my first search.

Thanks again Jude, and everyone for hanging in there with me. My eyesight will continue to be a little fuzzy along with my brain for awhile. The good news is there is hope for my eyesight.

All the best,

PG
November 17, 2007 09:20AM
> I did not read the fine print that says "Tiger". 3 days ago I had eye surgery to correct for
> glaucoma and cataracts. That's the truth.
> Now I have to search around to try and find OS 10.4.xx which is Leopard.

No need to explain. We don't judge. However, try to read Jude's post more carefully if you can:

OS 10.4.X IS TIGER.
OS 10.5.X IS LEOPARD.

And I agree with Shane in another thread -- Leopard is really not all that necessary now, and is in fact filled with bugs (as every new OS is). It's not all too necessary to keep completely up to date with OS versions -- I didn't make the final move to Tiger until earlier this year, about two years after everybody else.

You can argue, however, that investing in Tiger at this point may be money down the drain unless you can find a good deal. Tiger does have features (eg. Dashboard applications) that are useful, but I hate its search function (10 times more fiddley than Panther and only about equally useful) as well as Spotlight and Exposé. I would have been happy staying on Panther if I hadn't needed to upgrade to FCP5 and QuickTime 7, which don't play nice with Panther. QuickTime 7 alone is a good reason to upgrade to Tiger -- it's far superior to QuickTime 6, and also comes with the H.264 codec.

www.derekmok.com
PG
November 17, 2007 05:25PM
This is all very valuable information and my thanks to all of you.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics