Between ND Shift perfect white balance

Posted by J.Corbett 
Between ND Shift perfect white balance
November 18, 2007 05:08PM
I have a reel with footage from a story done on the ballet. At 1 point in the beginning of the reel the camera operator switched nd filters on a dvx100b. During the shift he is focused on the wall where a logo has been painted. The wall is white. The logo is black ( gloss paint ).

As the nd filter is being shift there is a point between the shift that has perfect white balance. the whites are rich and vivid and the black is also.

I would like to treat all of the footage with a filter set that would match this in-between shifts frame.

Q.
What is being effected in the image when the nd filter is applied?

Can a nd fiter be done in post?

I always use the 3way and rgb filters when i see problems in the way that the shot is lit. Would the shift i am seeing hear be better recreated with a luma adjustments?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: Between ND Shift perfect white balance
November 18, 2007 05:46PM
An ND filter should not change the color balance at all. It should be purely a gamma shift. It's neutral density, neutral being no color change.
November 18, 2007 05:52PM
So if i have say some temp and chroma adjustments and go from say a 1/8nd to off the shift will neutralized the adjustments and re-apply after the switch?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
November 18, 2007 06:01PM
I have no idea what that means.
Re: Between ND Shift perfect white balance (Clip@speed80%)
November 18, 2007 08:37PM
Take a LOOK notice the center frames.

""""
November 18, 2007 09:18PM
See what?
November 18, 2007 09:27PM
wow

At the beginning you will notice that there is a red somewhat warm hue to the white background of the logo on the wall.

after 00:01:15 the hue begins to leave and the white background becomes pure clean white.

at the end of the clip the reddish warm hue returns.

there is noway to not notice it.

""""
November 18, 2007 09:38PM
oops clip is not what i thought it to be.

LooK

""""
November 18, 2007 09:48PM
Looks like the camera had auto white balance on and was resetting itself. Use the color corrector 3-way to adjust the color as you would like it to be.
November 18, 2007 11:28PM
Ooh! Use the blue! Use the blue! lol

I had to do stuff like this on a recent MiniDV doc shot in Ethiopia. What a pain. But it's just as Tom says, use the 3-way for highest degree of control.

1) Set Markers at the beginning and end of the change.

2) Using the color globes, adjust problem area using keyframes, smoothing disruption so all is the same hue. Trial and error. (But save and rename the 3WCC to apply at other similar resets).

3) Then apply a global re-adjust to the entire clip (possibly you should nest it and apply the filter to the nest, but hear from others) to your desired whiteness.

Good luck.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Invoke your Favorites bin with Command-6 !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
November 18, 2007 11:52PM
ta dahhhhh

I didnt use the 3 way. I couldn't quite figure out the formula there.

Instead, i used the rgb filter. When loren said use blue that did the trick. IT IS A SAVED FILTER NOW.

There is some keying to do but thats was the easy part.

THANX ALL

""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics