Fade to Black Color Changed to Green

Posted by rwise47 
Fade to Black Color Changed to Green
November 12, 2007 02:24PM
My fade to black color has changed to Green. When I fase into or out of a clip, the fade to /from color is now green. Can someone tell me what settings to change this back or even how this might have happeded?

Thanks,

Rob
Re: Fade to Black Color Changed to Green
November 12, 2007 06:04PM
double click the transition itself and load to viewer. find the color dye look to the left to see if there are keyframes. then watch the section of the TL that this change is taking place.

If you look at the viewer while this is going on and the color box changes then there is a keyframe somewhere.

If not check the clip its attached to. load them into the viewer to click the filter tab to see what filters are there and the check for keyframes there.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
November 12, 2007 06:09PM
if that doesn't work for ya use a slug to fade to that(a slug is black). plus if you are going to black use a film dissolve or a cross dissolve. you don't really need a fade to black because if nothing is there it is black.

might also try to fade using the viewers motion tab. just put keyframes in on the opacity.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
November 12, 2007 07:11PM
That is the strange thing about this. If nothing is there, it usually disolves to black, you are correct. However, when I disolve, whether in or out, I am disolving to Green. It is as if there is a gren screen matte behind the timeline. Any ideas?

Rob
November 12, 2007 07:45PM
Sounds like a bug that surfaced with an FCP4-FCP5 upgrade with an Uncompressed 10-bit SD timeline, where sometimes renderable effects gave a solid green screen -- with no rhyme or reason (ie. one layered PSD file would have it, but another wouldn't). If this is one of those cases, I never found a cure for it other than to perform the dissolves using Opacity keyframes.

Does your issue happen with every Cross Dissolve transition you apply with 100 per cent consistency? Or only every so often?

www.derekmok.com
November 13, 2007 12:46AM
Everything outside of my timeline is green. Example: Normally, if I put a disolve on the end of a sequence, it disolves to black. In my case, it will disolve to green. Everything beneatht he timeline shows greeen. I have never seen this before. I am using FCP 5.01. I need to get it right before I finish up the project though.

Rob
November 13, 2007 01:33AM
I even closed the project and opened a new one. The Canvas is Green even before I import a timeline. IF I change the background to White, the background stays white only when the video is paused. when it starts and the playhead is in the canvas area, it goes green again. I rebooted and no help there. Being that I am using 5.01, would a firmware upgrade be the answer or do you recommend reinstalling the software?

Rob
November 13, 2007 03:09AM
Did you read this from the FAQ?

[www.lafcpug.org]

Yeah, these things are a bit of a beast.

Michael Horton
-------------------
November 13, 2007 09:42AM
Two more things that may not apply to Rob's situation, but might be useful to know:

When I encountered this issue, it was mostly at one station at a place where I freelance. The two most common causes there are:

a) Using TIFF files. Converting them to JPEGs instantly solved this issue in every case I can remember.
b) Adding drop shadow under the Motion tab. As far as I remember, even Boris Title 3D objects could go wonky. However, making the drop shadow using alternate methods (doubling the superimposed title, making it black, offsetting its position) did not result in the issue.

My bet is FCP5 software bug, not just ailing system resources. I had 1.5GB of RAM on my home station, FCP4.5, OS10.3, QuickTime6, no problems for years. One day I upgraded to FCP5/OS10.4/QT7, same RAM and drive storage, boom, instantly the problem starts occurring when I had to work with Uncompressed 10-bit SD clips. But since then, DV NTSC projects at home only, and no issues at all.

www.derekmok.com
November 13, 2007 09:46AM
> The Canvas is Green even before I import a timeline.

Oh, and check your Canvas View options (rightmost oval button above the image), make sure it's set to RGB, not Alpha+RGB or Alpha. And dump FCP preferences.

www.derekmok.com
November 13, 2007 11:54PM
Thanks to all for responding. I have more than enough memory (4 gigs) however, I do have many things plugged in (3 external hard drives and a printer). Can you refresh my memory exactly how to dump the FCP preferences? I think that could work along with disconnecting everything.

Oh, one more thing. I even opened a new project with no timeline and still the green canvas. I could seam all the clips together and then keyfram the brightness but takes alot of time.

Any other suggestions are appreciated. Maybe reloading the software if after dumping the preferences dosn't do it.
KPA
November 20, 2007 02:10PM
Was there any more suggestions to try for this.
I just updated my mac os and i'm pretty sure that is what caused the error. I just don't want to go through the hassle of reverting to an earlier version of X. Right now I am running 10.4.11 after the update.
When I open a sequence in DV NTSC it is ok, but whenever I open a HDV sequence it fades to green in stead of black and if I click into a "blank" area of the sequence it is also green.
November 20, 2007 09:47PM
can you post some screen shots?

""""
KPA
November 21, 2007 10:08AM
Sure, how do i up load the shots to you?
November 21, 2007 10:44AM
either put them on your server and click the pic icon the type the url. or send them via email.

""""
KPA
November 21, 2007 11:22AM
I don't have a server to upload the images.
What email address should i send them too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics