FCP DVX100b

Posted by NaylorM 
FCP DVX100b
November 21, 2007 08:49PM
I am trying to import footage from a panasonic dvx100b

I am using final cut hd (4.5)

I shot in 24p.

For some reason when I get into about 5 minutes of footage, the whole system locks up, and I have to restart teh computer.

I get a QT file with a -av after it in the cpature bin.

Other than that, I have checked everythign twice and tried a few different things.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
NaylorM
Re: FCP DVX100b
November 21, 2007 10:00PM
Sigh...this is like the fifth time this week! You either have a misformatted Scratch Disk drive (must be Mac OS Extended -- it's likely you have a drive that's FAT32, or PC-formatted), or you have "Limit Capture/Export Segment" in System Settings checked. Check these things and go from there.

www.derekmok.com
November 21, 2007 10:12PM
YOu know, it is a wonder that I don't have this as a Stock Answer...is this in the FAQ?

Why, yes it is!

[www.lafcpug.org]

READ THE FAQ! The solution to most of your problems are there...

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
November 21, 2007 11:33PM
Actually the solution to all the world's problems are in there too. You just need to look carefully.

Michael Horton
-------------------
November 21, 2007 11:38PM
Maybe it was the way I worded my ?, but I did look in the Stock Answers.

Maybe I should have said I liek everyone else have tried this but I am still having no luck.

When I go to the Disk Utitlity I have very limited choices. I can only click on my Hard Drive and then click earase free space...

Did this only start becasue I was using the DVX 100?

I even tried saving my scratch to an external with the same your capture is full?

Thanks for the help. This is obviously an ongoing problem if it happened again 5 times today, so teh more info we all share, the better we all will be.

Thanks
NaylorM
November 21, 2007 11:45PM
> When I go to the Disk Utitlity I have very limited choices. I can only click on my Hard Drive and
> then click earase free space...

Erase is formatting. Bit of a basic Macintosh operation there, my friend.

In order to reformat a drive you'll have to lose all the information on it, so back it up before you do. But before you proceed, click on the drive and press APPLE-I to check the drive format and see if this is even necessary.

Never, ever use a drive without formatting it fresh. Even if (and some might even say especially if) the drive came straight out of the box. Most store-bought drives are pre-formatted for PCs.

> Did this only start becasue I was using the DVX 100?

Very unlikely.

> I even tried saving my scratch to an external with the same your capture is full?

Huh?
Might wanna slow down your typing and check your spelling, Naylor. I can barely understand you.

If any drive connected to your system is over 90 per cent full, all bets are off until you can free up some space. And if you're getting a "Disk full" warning, at least one of your drives is on its last legs space-wise. Also check FCP's "Minimum Allowable Free Space" preference, under System Settings.

www.derekmok.com
November 21, 2007 11:52PM
Sorry about the babble, I am running on my last leg, long week

Capacity : 149.0 GB (160,040,947,712 Bytes)
Free Space : 54.3 GB (58,316,603,392 Bytes)
Used : 94.7 GB (101,711,949,824 Bytes)
Number of Files : 375,460
Number of Folders : 90,576
Owners Enabled : Yes
Can Turn Owners Off : Yes
Can Repair Permissions : Yes
Can Be Verified : Yes
Can Be Repaired : Yes
Can Be Formatted : Yes
Bootable : Yes
Supports Journaling : Yes
Journaled : Yes
S.M.A.R.T. Status : Verified
Disk Number : 0
Partition Number : 9

and i also says I am extened journaled.

Before I hit erase free space, so I need to burn all my projects and get ready to reinstall all my software?

Thanks for all your help
NaylorM
November 22, 2007 12:02AM
> Before I hit erase free space, so I need to burn all my projects and get ready to reinstall all my
> software?

No, no, no.

So you're capturing to your system drive? Not a recommended approach. You said you tried an external drive. Didn't work? Same issue?

Did you check those two System Settings I'd mentioned?

www.derekmok.com
November 22, 2007 12:07AM
yes, I unchecked limit capture, and I was about to hit Erase free space.

I am getting the Full message no matter what I do.

Before I could get FCP to capture footage for a while, but Now it is just the message
November 22, 2007 12:10AM
the message in full:

The current Capture Scratch Drive(s) are too full. Please remove files from these drives or select a new capture scratch location
November 22, 2007 01:54AM
>>remove files from these drives or select a new capture scratch location<<

November 22, 2007 10:36PM
that AV file may be your problem - when you capture and it aborts and freezes FCP saves as that unreadable AV file -which if you do a GET INFO on the file will be a gargantuan file that is probably sucking up all the hard drive space you have (it's not reallly that big - the computer only thinks it is) you have to dispose of that

That said - I've had similar problems capturing from the DVX 100a -- will be going along fine and then lock up - think it's something with the camera causing the problem but don't know for sure as I don't capture from it very often - do you have another deck to try this with? I'm betting the problem is in something from the camera to FCP with setting not being compatible or right on with what the camera is giving FCP (someone suggested this way up the thread) Andy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics