Streamclip Unavailable???

Posted by Kozikowski 
Streamclip Unavailable???
April 24, 2006 04:55PM

I went to great pains to wait until the last minute so I could download Streamclip and Save The Day for a production.

It didn't work. Streamclip isn't available from either the company web site or Apple.com. The Systems Administrator tried many times and it just isn't there.

?????

Koz

Re: Streamclip Unavailable???
April 24, 2006 05:12PM
I found a alternate download site using google:

[mac.majorgeeks.com]

Post Edited (04-24-06 21:49)
April 24, 2006 06:02PM
Got it.

Now, just to cover the bases, I can use this to create an MPEG1, right? I know it has all the bells and ponies to export every MPEG known to man, but I can't see anywhere that it says it can export MPEG1.

All those fancy export options that might be useful are grayed out.

We're starting with a Photo JPEG with the quality sliders all the way up. 720x480, 29.97. It's huge and basically perfect.

And it looks like it's going to stay that way until I export an AVI and boot the PC.

Any ideas??

Koz

Re: Alternate Plan Bravo???
April 24, 2006 07:28PM
So failing Streamclip, I'm guessin' Toast ????

Trust me, if several international clients had not specifically requested this, I wouldn't be doing it. Many timezones, no waiting.

"... the :30 version with the Romanian tag and alternate music ...."

Koz

April 24, 2006 08:29PM
Koz, is there any possibility your client would be willing to go with WMV format? At high resolutions, it looks a lot better than MPEG-1. And they can play it with most any Media Player released in the past few years.

(I've dealt with Romania, and they have a ways to go.)

bob rice
frameworx media
April 24, 2006 08:42PM

It's certainly possible, but not likely to happen. Here's the situation. We're delivering samples to multiple countries. Their original request was Program Stream MPEG2 which I can do just fine. I let one of the hot-shots talk me into delivering MPEG4 and they claimed they checked and it was OK.

It wasn't.

So now, we're playing catch up with a valuable client and I'd rather open a vein and bleed into a bucket than start fooling around with experiments on people who've been in bed for hours.

By the way, MPEG1/VCD can look remarkably good if you start with world-class perfect uncompressed AVIs.

But we're still making this as well as MPEG2s on TPGEnc on a Windows 2000 machine. Can Toast make an MPEG1? I'm convinced that Streamclip won't.

Koz

April 24, 2006 09:06PM
MPEG1?
that's VCD right?

toast can make that.

toast 6 has options (in the so called "advanced" section) to make

-Video CD
-Super Video CD
-DVD

but i cant see the word(?) MPEG1 anywhere.

maybe Toast7?

cheers,
nick

April 24, 2006 09:43PM

<<<-Video CD>>>

Yes, but.

I don't actualy want to make a VCD--the physical disk. I need to stop short of the actual burn.

Our PC tool has presets for a number of formats and classic VCD as an output file is one of them. If you open up the preferences after you apply the template, it's 1/4 resolution, MPEG1, etc. etc. etc. That's what we sent.

I think there is a license for Toast somewhere in the building. I'll pay them a visit and see how it works. It would be nice to do this in the Macs instead of being the only person who knows how to do it in the PCs.

It is a little scary that a world-wide standard like that isn't directly supported.

Wouldn't be the first strange thing.

Koz

April 24, 2006 09:52PM
Compressor? My old 1.2.1 seems to have MPEG1 options here..
April 24, 2006 11:41PM
Don't know if this will help, I just made an mpeg2 file out of Compressor 2. It had a .mts after the file name when completed. Lots of other options too, including mpeg 1.

I'm trying to understand all the different mpeg2 ways there are available so please excuse my ignorance if that is of no use to you.

Good luck,

Kevin

"A problem can never be solved by the same consciousness that created it"
Einstein
tc
April 25, 2006 12:57AM
Koz:

Cleaner 6 will do it.

tc
April 25, 2006 01:46PM

<<<Compressor? My old 1.2.1 seems to have MPEG1 options here..>>>

Yes, one of the other operators found that. *Our* Compressor has several DVD options one of which is MPEG1, however, It produces an m1v picture file, not an all-in-one deliverable *.mpg

I'm not at the shop so I can't give you hard numbers, but I do remember that.

Koz

April 25, 2006 01:54PM

<<<Cleaner 6 will do it.>>>

I believe them/you. However this problem comes up every six months or so and we can make a lot of trips to the known good working PC for $400.

I guess this is the other half of the problem. I don't need rock crusher compression tools. We have those. I just need to produce an MPEG that looks like a VHS tape.

Koz

tc
April 25, 2006 02:36PM
Howzabout this? 55 bucks, no waiting...

[www.mireth.com]

tc
April 26, 2006 03:04AM
We use to use Manzanita to multiplex our m1v and m2v files for set top delivery of on demand streams in experimental markets. Is that the type of thing you are looking for?
April 26, 2006 11:54AM

<<[www.mireth.com];

That looks about right. I'll fool with that when I get back into the shop.

<<<Manzanita>>>

Compressor will produce perfectly workable silent m1v files. I don't think it will produce an audio imbedded *.mpg file.

Koz
April 26, 2006 04:46PM
hi, koz,

been a long time!

anyway, you've probably already solved this, but since you're on a PC, what about nero? last time i used it (version 6) it did darned near everything. it's downloadable.

hd
April 27, 2006 01:01AM
I think we already have Nero on this machine.

<<<but since you're on a PC>>>

The object is to not be on a PC. I'm after software for the Macs so I don't get called out of vacation to make an MPEG1 file.

I'm about the only one comfortable with the PCs.

Koz

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics