H264 Accelerator
November 25, 2007 03:22PM
Hi al I just read about this in a magazine -
It is a H264 Accelerator

that looks like a thumb drive
and plugs into a usb2 outlet on your mac--

Its supposed to cut H264 render time in half or less --
any body used one of these ??
http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/Accessories/Turbo264/product1.en.html
Re: H264 Accelerator
November 25, 2007 03:30PM
A review of it will be up on lafcpug tomorrow. You can read it now over at kenstone dot net

[www.kenstone.net]

Michael Horton
-------------------
November 25, 2007 04:20PM
sounds great for h264.

I am curious as to why they didn't make a turbo for the fcp renders but i guess thats too hard. I am starting to get into more delivery for different end user devices so this is great for me. However h264 is only available to the iphone and ipod as far as i know.
If you are on a pc you can see h264 but outside of the desktop realm i am unsure of h264's delivery options. Vcast is where i am trying to go but dont know if this gadget will get me there.
Flash and divx seem to be more widely used in the delivery devices. I dont mind waiting 3-6 minutes to encode an h264 web version from qt. After all, once i am at that point that i am converting to h264 there is no more editing to be done to that piece in most cases.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
November 25, 2007 04:25PM
Next "affordably" priced hardware encoder is Pipeline from Telestream. Does all you want...for 2K.

Really built for small compnaies who do a ton of this stuff though.

[www.telestream.net]

Michael Horton
-------------------
November 26, 2007 03:00AM
Thanks Michael

I was thinking it sounded to good to be true -
But after reading the link info I am going to get one -
Thanks - - Jay --
November 26, 2007 08:44AM
J, just an FYI in case its an issue for you, but its worth noting that the current incarnation does not handle HD resolutions
November 26, 2007 09:42AM
What do you mean Andy? It can't compress DVCPRO HD to h.264 for the web? Or...?

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
November 26, 2007 09:53AM
i am not in the hd realm yet.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
November 26, 2007 06:07PM
wasn't being clear then, sorry

the maximum output resolution is 800x600 ... so certainly you can crunch down an HD quicktime file to an h.264 at SD or smaller resolutions

but if you want to encode h.264's and yet still maintain HD frame sizes then you'll have to wait for the new version that they are rumored to be working on.

Andy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics