Multiclip edit

Posted by Yasgur 
Multiclip edit
November 29, 2007 08:07AM
I have done a 3 angle multicam edit. Now it's time to send off for color greading and some steadicam filters. I wanted to check a workflow out before I prepped.

I was going to export each clip and number them from one to the last and make them self contained movies. I was going to set an in and out so it would only create a movie of the usable clip. I was going to put all of these in a folder and my colorist could reassemble on his system. The files are pro res HQ.

My thought behind all of this was to eliminate render times to 1/3. Is this concept the correct way to go? Second question is I thought I would add disolves if necessary AFTER the filter work. How can I add handles easily and not have the movie get out of sync by the amount of accumulated handles.

I am new to this, that's why I am letting a colorist do this but I am unsure of the workflow.

Thanks,

Jeff
Re: Multiclip edit
November 29, 2007 08:07PM
what system is your colorist using?

i see where you're coming from, but your approach is a lot more complex than it needs to be.
the FCP Media Manager can help you a lot with this.

it can make a copy of your sequence with new media that's trimmed to just the sections used, plus handles if you want.

nick
November 29, 2007 09:54PM
Well I followed Patricks suggestion with media manager but it didn't work. What I ended up with was three file in the media folder that are identicle to my original media files. My multi clip was 70 gigs each times three angles. My newfolder is 210 gigs. So my colorist will be using color. I want to only have to render 1/3 of all of the data. Can he send each clip to color and then apply the filters to only each ACTIVE angle clip? I thought I would end up with a folder of a bunch of media clips represented by each individual volume of media, not reference clips.

Jeff
November 30, 2007 01:19AM

ended up with was three file in the media folder that are identicle to my original media files.

make sure "Delete unused media" is ticked,
also DONT tick "Include Multiclip Angles".

keep an eye on the two greeen bars at the top of the MM window.
they will indicate how much you are trimming.
if the lower bar isnt much smaller than the top bar, there's something wrong.
read this: [www.lafcpug.org]

i think you can just send the sequence as is to colour, and it will only get the active angles.

if your colorist is expereinced, they should be able to advise you.

trimming the clips with Media Manager is a good idea if you need to run smooth cam, though.
almost essential, really.

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics