Major subclip problem

Posted by Paul C 
Major subclip problem
November 29, 2007 12:34PM
Hi,

I've captured some miniDV, all regular presets etc. Tape was shot elsewhere on an HVX200 and has lots of timecode breaks (I think it might not be 29.97 fps.) I used "Capture Now" for segments up to a few minutes long, then make subclips, and use Media Manager to delete unused portions of the main clip. Never had a problem before.

Today, about 1/4 of my subclips are total pixelated messes, even though the main clip played fine when I made the subclips. In the browser, the thumbnails of the corrupted clips are just a complete mass of coloured pixels.

I tried reconnecting media in Media Manager, which leads me to a Temporary file. I can find the clip it's asking for, but when I reconnect, nothing happens.

I don't really want to recapture this stuff -- any idea what's going on here?

Thanks,

Paul
Re: Major subclip problem
November 29, 2007 05:49PM
i dont know what the specific problem is.
but i do know weird things like this do happen from time to time.

that's why i think it's best to use the COPY mode of the Media Manager.
when weird stuff happens you have the originals and can re-do.
if all is ok, delete the orig

actually, id prefer to use Batch Export for this.
the reason is that if you have 2 subs that are contiguous (one ends at 30.01, and the next starts at 30.02) then media Manger will merge them into one file.

nick
November 29, 2007 07:05PM
Thanks, I'll try that.

The other thing that is kind of confusing is that under Item Properties, some of these clips are called Clips, and some are Sublcips, and they should all be subclips.

Then they're all stored in a temporary folder, and yet the original only seems to be as long as the first subclip.

I guess by copying, I would get self-contained clips, with the name I give them, in their own folder.
November 30, 2007 03:55AM

The other thing that is kind of confusing is that under Item Properties, some of these clips are called Clips, and some are Sublcips, and they should all be subclips.

i would have thought that after Media Management they would all be CLIPS not subclips.
as there's be no extra media other than what's containerd in the sub.

unless you added handles.
oh, and then there's the fact that FCP can give you an extra frame when you MM, so maybe that's why some are subs?

or maybe FCP just gets a bit confused.

ive seen this, too.
i select the clips in the browser, and go to Modify Menu > Remove Subclip Limits,
then they are not subs anymore,
i remove the in outs in the browser columns too, but that's just me being fastidious.

Then they're all stored in a temporary folder, and yet the original only seems to be as long as the first subclip.

i think i saw that temporary folder when i experimented with MM's "Use Existing" mode,
but as i never really use that mode, i'm no expert.

the original would only be as long as the first subclip due to "use existing"?
that's what you wanted?

I guess by copying, I would get self-contained clips, with the name I give them, in their own folder.

exactly.
copy with MM, or Batch Export

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics