Sony PMW-EX1

Posted by BGalford 
Sony PMW-EX1
November 20, 2007 02:03PM
Does anyone know if the this Sony camera is already supported by FCP 5 or 6? It ahs some of the CineAlta genes, so it might be, but there's a line in the brochure that says something about"working with Apple and other vendors to" make it editable, whcih implies something's not ready yet.
Anyone have any hard knowledge?

BGalford
Boston-area
Re: Sony PMW-EX1
November 21, 2007 07:57AM
FCP 6.0.2 supports it with new Easy Setups. Sony already has the XDCAM Xfer plugin (2.1) for it but I've only seen the download on the UK Sony site. Sony's Mac Clip Browser for it is already available (UK Site) but only works on Intel Macs. The camera will come with the Mac software on CD but everything is/will be available as a free download also.

I should be getting the camera sometime next week (fingers crossed, I'm 3rd on my dealer's list). People in Europe started getting the camera on Monday. People with FCP 6.0.2 are importing clips just fine. Oddly none of us who have downloaded and installed the software can import the clips they've uploaded. They play in the Clip Browser but are grayed out in the xfer plugin.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one interested (and already purchasing) this camera on this forum.
November 21, 2007 08:30AM
I know it sounds crazy to some, but I like this camera even better than the two new HDV cameras Sony has announced this week, one with an interchangeable lens. I like the fact that the EX has 1/2" chips, and can do under- and over-cranking. And that it seems to have more gamma settings. I don;t have the interl Mac yet, and am still running 5.1.4, so I fear that an upgrade to this camera may necessitate an upgrade to both my FCP hardware and software.
November 21, 2007 09:36AM
I'd note that the XDCAM xfer tool and FCP update seem to function on a G5. The Clip Browser won't install on it though. If the clip browser isn't a necissity then a G5 might be sufficient.

You'll DEFINITELY need FCP 6.0.2 though.

BTW it makes good sense to like the camera over the HDV cameras. It's 1/2 chips, under/over crank, 35mbps VBR codec which is much harder to break than HDV. It's low light performance is apparently outstanding compare to any HDV camera although I hear the new Sony HDV cameras are much improved too.

I've also heard that SxS xfer speed to laptop with 34 port (MacBookPro or Sony Vaio) is over 10x real time and some who have actually tested the production release show 5-7x from camera's USB to desktop computer.

I do NOT like HDV (the codec) but I can live with XDCAM HD and especially so given the apparent image quality of the camera and price point.
November 21, 2007 07:06PM
We are going to feature the EX at the Dec 12 lafcpug Holiday Gearhead party. Show a bunch of sweet footage and learn how to edit the damn stuff.

Michael Horton
-------------------
November 21, 2007 07:15PM
Next to the Red, the EX was the hottest thing at IBC. Couldn't get near it. That and the "Z1" replacement, the one with the interchangeable lens. Huge buzz on those cams.

Michael Horton
-------------------
November 21, 2007 08:43PM
Your Dec. meeting sounds great. Perhaps you can highlight the salient points on your FCPUG website?
Brian
Sharon, MA
November 22, 2007 12:33AM
Whats the model number for the Z1 replacement?

The little I've read about the EX1 is pretty impressive.
November 22, 2007 01:05AM
HVR Z7U

[ieba.wordpress.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
November 22, 2007 05:34AM
Craig,
I'm jealous.
This camera looks fantastic. It'll be interesting to see what the HVX fan club around here make of it. According to Chris Hurd over at DVinfo the 35MbPS sorts out the motion issues that are the chief gripe of HDV haters. The storage cards are likely to become relatively cheap compared to P2 and the Fujinon lens is the best looking piece of glass i've seen yet in a camera of this price point.
Post some stuff when you get camera please.
November 22, 2007 08:04AM
Sony already has the XDCAM Xfer plugin (2.1) for it but I've only seen the download on the UK Sony site. Sony's Mac Clip Browser for it is already available (UK Site) but only works on Intel Macs. The camera will come with the Mac software on CD but everything is/will be available as a free download also.[/quote

also for download on the US site
[serviceplus.us.sony.biz]

Happy Thanksgiving
Andy
November 22, 2007 08:23AM
Thanks Andy! Hey it's finally up on US site! It's been up on the UK site for a couple of weeks now. First person in US got camera yesterday with serial number 40. Folks in Europe started getting it on Monday. I'm number 3 on the list at a very small VAR in NYC so I'm probably getting it next week some time. I'll test and report work flow here.
November 22, 2007 08:28AM
I have A LOT to say about how I came to my decision on this camera and my willingness to be an early adopter too.

I'll start with:
I do not like HDV for various reasons
I was considering the HVX when it first came out but was very disappointed with it for various reasons.
I had several opportunities to see the EX1 at recent trade shows in NYC and even got to play with one for a bit.
It is a reasonable decision for my small business.

I can expand on all the above but it could make for a long post.
November 22, 2007 08:30AM
Oh Sony, you cracks me up good.

Their sites always suck hard (they used to only work with Explorer and would shut you out if you used anything else) You really have to dig for what you need. For the longest time only the european site had any links to the XDCAM HD software and you had to register to get it.

Now this is just silly and a little picky but it made me laugh. The second piece of software in that list from the link that Andy posted, has a link to a "Kit Description" for " XDCAM FILE TRANSFER SW 1.0"
I've gone to the trouble of downloading it so you don't have to experience the joy of downloading and opening a Word formatted .doc that says the following and only the following:

The software is for Final Cut Pro version 5.0 or higher and Apple Transfer software.

This software will allow the Mac and FCP to be able to do file transfers via Firewire.
Not to mention that the three options for download on that page don't really differentiate what each is for but I'll guess they're just upgrade versions of the same software, albeit with different kit part numbers, and you still need to login to download. feh!

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
November 22, 2007 12:20PM
It's amazing how the menus in their cameras are so much easier to navigate then their US website.

Go to the UK site. It's much easier to find useful things and they seem to get info about new products up much faster and in more detail. If it weren't for the Euro Sony sites and still be trying to figure out whether I should make a purchase or not!
November 22, 2007 08:15PM
I spent some time this afternoon setting up an XDCAM HD camera and a deck. There is little to no similarity in terms between camera and deck and the somewhat obscure flick-switch-up-while-pressing-select-wheel to get at the full camera menu to change stuff (like the file naming presets) is something that would only be designed by someone who hates people and has few friends.
What on the deck and all the literature is called 35MBS VBR, the highest quality setting, is called HQ mode on the camera. Okaaay...
All that goes away once it's set up and you can import at 2x speed and edit/log in FCP while you do it. The camera op liked his first crack at the camera because it was a basically a BetaSP type camera as far as ergonomics and general controls and he got into the basic menu system quickly, while pretending to ignore the hand jive it took to get the advance menu.
Great format for corporate/industrial and pretty good for low budget reality type stuff. Sure it's basically an HDV file structure (long GOP) but it doesn't have the hassles we've seen here with ingest and edit that the tape based HDV cameras have.
The F70 deck has every output you could want, HD and SD so it's flexible, although it won't play SD XDCAM disks.

I guess a full suite of gear for the new camera would include the basic disk drive type deck to back up your cards to so that might add to the price for some people.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
November 23, 2007 01:44AM
But with the EX1 you may not need a deck at all. It's recording to SxS card not XDCAM disc. You'll just need a card reader. BTW there is a "dumb" drive which can read XDCAM discs and send them to computer via USB. There's certainly plenty of reasons to want/need a deck but there are much simpler options to the F70.

BTW, the USA Sony site is so difficult to navigate I'd still say it's worse than the menus your describe.

If you really want a challenge try reading the manual for the old Sony 5000 edit system.
November 23, 2007 01:46AM
>The F70 deck has every output you could want, HD and SD so it's flexible, although it won't play SD XDCAM disks.

it will play SD XDCAM in as much as it will play DVCAM ... but it won't play any of the IMX formats
December 02, 2007 03:20PM
Okay, been using this camera for about a week now, was first on list here in Atlanta. I have some solutions, but more questions. Here goes:
You need FCP 6.0.2 or Higher
You need OS 10.4.11 or Higher
Go to www.Sony.com/XDCamEX (Not case sensitive)
Click the little Professional Services link at top
Click the Software and Parts link on left side
Click the Software Tab
Enter PDZK in the search field
You will hit on 3 files, so...
Choose PDZK Transfer version 2.10
Download this Pllugin to recognize the native MP4 Files and transfer to Quicktime.

NOTE: If you have been using the Sony F350/550 and use XDCam Transfer software, it WILL NOT WORK for the PMW-EX1, so don't spin your wheels. Wish I had known that before.
December 02, 2007 04:01PM
I've tested PDZK-P1 Transfer version 2.1 and it does work with the EX1.

Go to this page
[www.sonybiz.net]

New Features for V2.1
XDCAM EX support*

*Please note ? in order to use the XDCAM Transfer Software with XDCAM EX you will need to also download the SxS Device Driver

I haven't received my EX1 yet but others have given me files and I've been able to import them into FCP 6.0.2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics