LaCie network storage

Posted by lpvproductions 
LaCie network storage
November 30, 2007 02:33PM
I have a LaCie 2TB network storage drive attached to my G5 with a D-Link gigabit switch, is it possible to capture video (SD) over the network to the drive? Are there any settings I should about, am I totaly barking up the wrong tree with this drive?

I am basically looking to have a RAID configured network drive that can be accessed by my G5 running final cut pro and a pc running Avid Express Pro. Any help would be greatly apprciated.

Thanks.
Re: LaCie network storage
November 30, 2007 06:54PM
Yes it's possible. No, it's not recommended (by me, anyway)...especially to depend on as your primary RAID.

Do a forum search on LaCie & get some popcorn.

I would go with a CalDigit SATA RAID as they come HIGHLY recommended by members here (it's my next purchase). I currently use G-RAIDS for everything and an UltraSCSI 320 RAID at work.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

November 30, 2007 07:15PM
i love joey's "get some popcorn" response to this often asked question. - do so. in fact, get a large. no, get a JUMBO! as it'll be a good deal of reading...
December 03, 2007 09:13AM
I quickly looked at the CalDigit drives and they look really good, but I was hoping to find something that was networkable.
December 03, 2007 09:23AM
If you are looking into shared storage, you need to look into SAN solutions. Network storage that is used over standard networks is NOT suitable for video production needs. They have different requirements. Video needs a constant HIGH data transfer rate, and typical networks that just transfer data don't work that way. They typically send data in small bursts or packets. Only specially designed Video networks. Shared Area Storage (SAS) or Shared Area network (SAN) designed to handle video will work.

And sorry but, they ain't cheap.

XSAN, MetaSan, SanMP, EditShare...

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics