V.O DeckLilnk

Posted by bill darst 
V.O DeckLilnk
December 07, 2007 05:35PM
My system is the Q8 FCP v6.0.1, QT 7.2 macOS 10.4.11

A BlackMagic tech sent me to an Apple notes page saying how to use the DeckLink audio for the V.O. in FCP. After matching the video out settings to your television monitor, then you must turn off Frames in the view menu. Of course this is kind of dumb, since your VO talent is sitting in an audio booth and needs to see the video to time his piece. After all preference settings in the system prefs for DeckLink, shutting off the external video out, still no audio in the VO box. Audio shows up if I select my Logitech headsets, but the audio quality just isn't there. The VO box shows that the DeckLink audio is there to select. Audio will work through the MultiBridge pro if FCP isn't running. Mac's own system preferences allows you to hear audio from Multibridge pro. As soon as FCP is launched, it goes away. I tried a USB to XLR straight into the Mac, and all the VO menu box says is 'unknown usb'.
Is there another way to get audio into the VO for FCP and still have my DV firewire video connected?

Thanks

bill
Re: V.O DeckLilnk
December 08, 2007 12:09PM
I'm on Decklink extreme, and the furthest i managed to go with getting audio into Final Cut studio 2, was to send in a video signal- any video signal into Decklink. Apparently when no video signal is sent, the analog audio inputs are turned off automatically. This set up allows me to record in soundtrack pro 2, and log and capture in final cut, but i CAN'T get the VO tool to work, try as i might, unless i send the audio on a consumer grade mini jack into the mac.

I tried calling the Blackmagic tech support guys in my country, and the only 'advice' i got was to download the latest driver...
December 08, 2007 03:15PM
Thanks for your help.
Here is the page Apple gives as an answer to how to make V.O. work
[www.blackmagic-design.com]
If this doesn't work just go to BMDesign, select Support, then type in voice over and it will bring you to this page. They say if you turn the Frames to off, in other words disconnect the DV video out to an external monitor, the DeckLink will work. I did all the other things suggested on this page but still to no avail.
How do you get the mic into the Mac to work? I bought a usb to XLR, because my Logictech mic worked in the V.O. in FCP. So I thought the answer was usb. Wrong. All the V.O. box said was there is an 'unknown usb connection'.
Just so you know I found out through the Tech support from Deck Link, that it is not a Deck Link problem. The card was designed by Apple.

Where is your country?

Again thanks, I will try the Sound Track Pro recording.

bill
December 08, 2007 05:25PM
If you want to use the "voice over" tool built in to FCP, you need to provide a line-level input. Some USB mics ARE line-level like the Snowball

Or you need a mixer or a mic -> line amp to use an XLR mic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics