Merging FCP video tracks

Posted by NaylorM 
Merging FCP video tracks
December 10, 2007 03:02PM
Final cut HD
Mac g5

I just made a virtual set in Photoshop. I imported it into Final cut pro.

My problem is I want to merge down a few of the tracks; these are additional tracks where I added extras like other clips from Motion and Live Type (eye candy type stuff). On top of merging them down I would like for some of the area to remain transparent. This would be the area where I put in a TV and want to be able to view the stills or vid in the track below it. Does anyone have any idea on how I can do this if it is even possible.

Thanks
NaylorM
Re: Merging FCP video tracks
December 10, 2007 03:32PM
Merge down? As in Photoshop? I'm not sure what you're asking here. In FCP if you want to combine several tracks into a single track, it's called nesting and it's done simply by selecting the tracks you want to nest and hitting OPT+C. It'll put the selected tracks into a new sequence and edit that sequence into place in the current sequence. It's not technically a "merge down" function as it relates to Photoshop because it's non-destructive. But it is often used as an organizational tool if you have lots of tracks and you want them grouped for whatever reason. Nesting preserves any transparencies you have.

Keep in mind that nested sequences can be troublesome in the realm of media management EDL/XML exporting as well as some other areas so be careful.

If you're referring to Photoshop, you can stamp layers to a new layer. Typically when I'm importing a photoshop file into FCP, I create my master PSD and then an FCP "friendly" PSD which has all the layers merged that I don't require to be independent in FCP. Just make sure you aren't needing to make constant changes to the original PSD or else you find yourself doing double the work in Photoshop.

Andy
December 10, 2007 04:24PM
Yes, sorry about that. Photoshop language was the only way i could describe what I was trying to do. Thank you for explaining and letting me know the correct termonology. The Step you told me saved me a lot of headache.

What I am working on works great now. Thanks for the heads up on the problems involved with this.

Thanks
NaylorM
December 10, 2007 05:24PM
no problem. Happy editing.

Andy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics