Faking Camera Movement

Posted by J.Corbett 
Faking Camera Movement
December 10, 2007 12:04PM
i have been seeing a lot of this in commercials and i still cant recreate it.

example 1.

T Row Price has a commercial where they show an obscure angle on a football field the camera seems to pan to the right and suddenly you are looking at a doctor in a lab. The next pan you ate in an office setting and so on.

i cant see the seem but i know there is one nicely rotoscoped and the pans are meticulously planed but how?

also seen in a commercial made by grafixjoe as an example of cuts that are unseen.

example 2.

this is the one i am trying to recreate.

the back round is normally white a group of words are on the screen. Then there is a pan and suddenly there is a new set of text on the screen. As it pans i can see one text object leave the screen and the other coming on. It appears that the camera moved but i know there is no cam.

i also saw this in johans demo real

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: Faking Camera Movement
December 10, 2007 12:52PM
are there supposed to be video links in your post?

anyway, if i understand your description - you can do all that with keyframes or with a 3d camera in after effects
December 10, 2007 01:12PM
I dont have AE. i do have kinemac, motion2, shake.

is this possible with that?

i will try to find an example to post.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
December 10, 2007 02:57PM
It's certainly possible to do it in shake, and you could approximate it in Motion 2 though it's not a 3d program. It's easiest in Motion 3 if you can upgrade.

Andy
December 11, 2007 07:37AM
"i also saw this in johans demo real"

-Didnt i send you a description of how it works?

In theory its really quite simple, the results depends on your source material.
i would def recommend After Effects over Shake for something like this.

Maybe its tutorial time?
but where to post an After Effects tutorial here?

Johan Polhem
Motion Graphics
www.johanpolhem.com
December 11, 2007 09:42AM
Johan is after effect the only place to do this type of editing?
I mean i a sitting on a 2 part decision here. Either i have to buy AE or i have to buy fcs2 with motion3 ( a program i all ready know).
I kinda thought that motion3 would be able to match AE.

I know you did it with AE so i may have to get both.

Oh and maybe you could write the tutorial as a fcp compositing technique. I don't know if mike would let it pass without mention of shake, fcp, or some part of the apple suit.

or you could just send it to me as a pm.

""""
December 11, 2007 11:28AM
I want that part 2 of the Shake tutorial Johan. smiling smiley Part 1 is hugly popular. Getting tons of reads.

You can bang out an AE tutorial for lafcpug. Anything that helps folks is welcome here. Might not get as many reads as you want but sooner or later people discover it.

Michael Horton
-------------------
December 11, 2007 11:45AM
Motion 3 can match AE on this effect (as you have it described). Motion's only real big 3D hangup is their lighting. The camera settings aren't as deep as AE, lights can't cast shadows, but for what it sounds like you're trying to do, it's possible in either.

Andy
December 11, 2007 11:48AM
The bannerless Horton has spoken.

""""
December 11, 2007 12:00PM
wait there is no filter that can create a shadow in motion3?

""""
December 11, 2007 12:58PM
You can create shadows in Motion, but the light sources don't CAST shadows. In AE, if you apply a light to some text for instance, you can have the light cast a shadow. When you move the camera or the light, the shadow obeys according to the laws of physics as if the 3D object were real. There's no work for the designer. In Motion, you'd have to keyframe any shadow to get it to behave in that manner which is not easy.
December 12, 2007 01:47AM
Michael.

Yes you are right.
I have been VERY slow with that.
I just moved overseas and basically I have been busy.

I'll get on it as I have more time now.
Ill do the part 2 first and then if I have time, the After Effects one.

Johan

Johan Polhem
Motion Graphics
www.johanpolhem.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics