Firewire not recognized

Posted by ldthompson 
Firewire not recognized
December 11, 2007 11:37AM
I just got a new MacBook Pro and am trying to log and capture from my Panasonic DVX100a but FCP keeps not recognizing the Firewire connection. What's up with that?
LDT
Re: Firewire not recognized
December 11, 2007 11:49AM
Not much information to go on. Is your camera in VTR mode? What are your Capture and Device Control Presets?

www.derekmok.com
December 11, 2007 12:06PM
Yeah, it's in the VTR mode and in the Easy Setup menu it's set to Firewire NTSC Basic.
December 11, 2007 12:10PM
Maybe try FireWire NTSC instead. Basic works for Canon cameras, not sure how it goes with the Panasonic. Also, make sure the camera is already on and in the right mode when you start FCP.

www.derekmok.com
December 11, 2007 03:44PM
I did as you suggested ...switched to Firewire NTSC, turned camera on VCR mode and plugged in the Firewire before launching FCP. Still got the same dialogue box 'unable to locate external device'. Any other suggestions?
Thanks,
LD
December 11, 2007 05:12PM
I'm not joking-- check to see if the *other* end is really connected... happens to me at least once a week. lol

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Toggle Audio Scrub with Shift-S !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
December 11, 2007 06:37PM
Try some of these steps from the FAQ too

[www.lafcpug.org]

December 11, 2007 09:19PM
Thanks for that link. I thought it might be helpful but as it is I haven't upgraded anything. I have Tiger 10.4.10 and my QuickTime is 7.2

FCP is 5.1.4

Is there anything else you can think of. The cables are both firmly in place. It's a brand new cable.
???
LD Thompson
December 11, 2007 09:44PM
Did you try the 'other things it could be' from that FAQ?

December 12, 2007 07:48AM
ah... deleting receipts. i should try that tomorrow. I had a similar problem- initially, after connecting the firewire, it lagged like crazy and refused to detect, occasionally providing me tc feeds from the tape. The next day, it simply refused to detect a thing. I was trying to capture off a Sony Fx10. On a G5 Leopard, FCP 6.0.2. It could be a battered camera issue though.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics