dv stream weirdness in logic

Posted by healdsburger 
dv stream weirdness in logic
December 19, 2007 12:59PM
The people doing the music for our film requested a dv stream of our sequence with a timecode burn at 29.97 frames and at 16:9 aspect ratio. First I nested the video and applied a timecode burn filter which conveniently has 29.97 as the default. I then did a quicktime conversion and changed the default from the 4:3 default to the 16:9. The music people called me today and said that in Logic the sequence plays funny and that they can't get the timecode to line up properly, but if they play it in quicktime it plays fine. What did I do wrong? Suggestions?

Thank you,

Ramsay
Re: dv stream weirdness in logic
December 19, 2007 01:17PM
Why DV Stream? DV NTSC would be a better choice. For a reference movie, you can also use Photo JPEG, newer types of MPEG-4, Sorenson 3 and a host of other choices as long as they come in 29.97fps. Also, did your sound people copy the file to a drive before playing it? If they were trying to play the movie file directly from a CD or DVD, the low data rate of optical media could never keep up with a movie file of any substantial quality.

Open up the movie file in QuickTime and press APPLE-I. List the information there.

www.derekmok.com
December 19, 2007 01:39PM
The sound guys want it in DV Stream. I don't know why, I'm a lowly assistant. Since it's a huge file, I'm pretty sure they were playing the movie from a portable drive that my boss put it on after I converted it. Maybe the weirdness is because it isn't a firewire drive? Or is it because the sequence was in HD at a different frame rate and that I should have converted it to 29.97fps before doing the timecode burn filter?

Thanks.
December 19, 2007 02:08PM
> Maybe the weirdness is because it isn't a firewire drive?

That's a big one. USB is not fast enough for playing back larger movie files. DV NTSC certainly would give USB trouble. This past week I was working with a client whose USB drive couldn't play back 40MB H.264 files, either. So yes, move the file to an internal drive or a FireWire drive.

> Or is it because the sequence was in HD at a different frame rate and that I should have
> converted it to 29.97fps before doing the timecode burn filter?

Hold up...your original sequence was at a different frame rate but your sound people are mixing in 29.97fps? Are you guys sure you shouldn't be mixing at the HD frame rate (perhaps 23.98fps)?

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics