drunk audio filter

Posted by alexedit 
drunk audio filter
December 18, 2007 08:38PM
Hi Guys -
what is the audio filter to use to make people sound like they are drunk?
it kind of slows down the speed of the voice while keeping it in sync
thanks
Re: drunk audio filter
December 18, 2007 08:41PM
johnny walker black
December 18, 2007 08:46PM
> it kind of slows down the speed of the voice while keeping it in sync

No such thing. If the speed is slower, the dialogue won't be in sync anymore unless the picture's also in slow-mo. What you mean is you want the pitch lower. AUPitchShift can lower the pitch without changing speed, and Soundtrack Pro and ProTools would do a better job. But even more often, it's in the actor's performance. Pitch is only one element -- actors slur their speech. And different actors (and characters) get drunk in different ways. Asking for a "drunk audio filter" is like asking for a filter to make a character sound like s/he is crying.

www.derekmok.com
December 18, 2007 11:11PM
Thaks Derek -
actually - there is a filter that makes the voice of a character sound like he/ she was crying in soundtrack pro (when I get to the office tomorrow I will let you know). Keep in mind that this is an effect that is being used in a shot that was not meant to be for this purpose. (crying) so it is not perfect, but it does the job if the purpose is to be funny.
as for the "drunk" filter, I used the wrong due to memory malfunction. shift the pitch is what I meant. It makes the voice sound slower and "thicker" while keeping it in sync
December 18, 2007 11:32PM
> shift the pitch is what I meant. It makes the voice sound slower and "thicker" while keeping it in
> sync

I believe we also tend to associate drunk voices with less dynamic range in the voice as well as the character's hearing. So try a Low Pass Filter as well for a stifling feel. That can help simulate more of a "slur" or even a "drunk POV" if that's what you're going for. If it's a POV sound, then you can add the Low Pass to the ambience and other sync sound, or blend in some kind of low hum. If you're really going for over the top POV hearing, even a ring modulator or vibrato effect.

But I bet that "crying" and "drunk" filters will never be as good as a good performance. These effects can augment a performance, but they usually can't replace a performance. Even a "funny" crying character or a "funny" drunk need that human touch. Sarah Michelle Gellar, for example, is great at "funny" over-the-top crying. (Beg pardon from Ben and Jude -- Buffy lore again!)

Travis and the sound experts...do you ever use "crying" and "drunk" filters to make these beats out of a performance that doesn't have them?

www.derekmok.com
December 21, 2007 08:35AM
Hey Guys - this is what I am talking about

you can see it in this clip

any ideas how they accomplished that?
December 21, 2007 09:22AM
As far as I can tell they slowed down the audio, then re-adjusted the pitch. The image looks slowed-down as well. There's no way to get the "slur" with just lowering pitch.

www.derekmok.com
December 21, 2007 10:05AM
Are you sure they didn't just use this
It's a drinking box....effect
smileys with beer

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
December 21, 2007 06:08PM
Yeah I reckon it's just a slightly slowed clip. Bush isn't exactly known for his accuracy of pronunciation. Try slowing your clip down by five percent.

December 21, 2007 06:56PM
Or something like this.

[www.derekmok.com]

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics