Image to monitor problem

Posted by Delphinus 
Image to monitor problem
December 17, 2007 02:06PM
I just upgraded to Final Cut Studio and am having problems. When I open Final Cut, all seems fine except that I can no longer get an image on my NTSC monitor. I hit refresh and the monitor blinks but the image does not come up. I have checked all settings and they seem fine, but no image. Any ideas?

G4 Quicksilver
1.7 processor
1.5 GB Ram
OS X 10.4.11
QT 7.3.1
Re: Image to monitor problem
December 17, 2007 04:26PM
I'm sure you checked this, but is your external video set to all frames?

What card is sending out to the monitor? Does the monitor recieve the default image (likely bars) from the kona box or whatever is sending the signal?
December 17, 2007 04:35PM
Hi:
Yes, I checked All Frames and Refresh many times. I have a Radeon 9800 video card. Strange thing is that I cannot get the image for up to several hours, then, all of a sudden, it pops on and all is OK. Can't figure this one out, and certainly cannot wait several hours to start work. An ideas would be very helpful.
December 18, 2007 01:58AM
How is your NTSC monitor connected to your computer? Are you connected via FW through another device or just through the video card?

Andy
December 18, 2007 10:11AM
I have the Radeon 9800 card and it works perfectly with my Sony monitor.

First, do you have your System Preferences properly configured for two monitors, with your external display set at 640x480, and mirroring off? I would assume that you do, and are using S-video out on your Radeon card.

Next, in FCP Audio/Visual preferences, under Video Playback, make sure you have selected "Digital Cinema Desktop Preview - Full Screen".

It took me a little while to figure this out on my own. Hope it works for you.
December 18, 2007 11:34AM
The setting you indicate in Audio/Visual makes my second monitor a full screen, but does not effect my NTSC monitor, which is what I was having problems with. Again, when I fire up FCP, the NTSC monitor does not come on, no matter how many "refreshes" is do and with "all Frames" selected. Then, maybe 10 to 40 minutes later, the ntsc monitor pops on, completely randomly. I've used FCP for over eight years and had no problem, but since installing Final Cut Studio, this has been going on.
December 18, 2007 11:38AM
Not sure what you mean. The 9800 controls the two flat screen monitors, which come on fine. I am refering to the NTSC monitor. The firewire comes from the computer to the Sony DSR-20, and the NTSC monitor (as always) is connected to the video out of the DSR-20. The NTSC monitor does come on, but only after I wait anywhere between 10 and 40 minutes, no matter how many times I refresh or check "All Frames".
December 18, 2007 11:46AM
Does the DSR-20 have any kind of video display on it (I'm not at all familiar with it)? If not, can you hook up a camera in its place, with the same cable setup you have now? What I'm looking for is whether it's the signal coming out of the computer that is delayed, or maybe it's a problem with the monitor itself. If you have picture on the camera but not the monitor it would tell you something. Also, does it make any difference whether the monitor was recently started up cold or has been on for a while? And as always, try different cables.

Scott
December 18, 2007 11:46AM
Your problem may not be FCP at all. It may in fact be the DSR-20. I use a similar set-up but with a Panasonic deck connected to my NTSC monitor. Occasionally, when the deck has been on for awhile, I'll lose my external monitoring because the FW card in the deck becomes faulty when it gets warm.

It's possible that your deck might have a faulty FW input. If you can, connect using a camera or other FW device to confirm whether or not that's the case.

Andy
December 27, 2007 07:58PM
Just curious...did you get your problem solved?...and how?

Might be of interest to all of us.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics