overlapping timecodes

Posted by davko 
overlapping timecodes
January 05, 2008 01:09PM
I recently missed a few seconds of head on a long capture. If I go back and grab just what I need, is there any drawback to having overlapping -- i.e. "doubled up" -- time codes on the scratch disc, if I ever reference back to source tapes? Is it advisable to recapture the entire clip in its entirety and lose the abbreviated one?
Re: overlapping timecodes
January 05, 2008 01:16PM
> is there any drawback to having overlapping -- i.e. "doubled up" -- time codes on the scratch
> disc,

Not really, other than the hassle of having your footage split up into more clips than necessary. And it also depends on whether that missing footage is in a "capturable" part of the tape (eg. not too close to the beginning, or too close to a timecode break).

> Is it advisable to recapture the entire clip in its entirety and lose the abbreviated one?

If the clip's not too long, I would usually relog the clip. Then again, the fact that you missed the head of the take suggests to me that you weren't logging "broadly" enough at the first stage.

When I log, I almost always overlap In/Out points of two clips, both to prevent timecode issues and to show on the clip that nothing on the tape was missed. However, some HD formats (HDCam, for example) are extremely touchy about the overlaps and even with no visible timecode break, logging "across clip breaks" result in timecode errors upon capture. In those cases, the only solution is if the camera operator left sufficient pre-roll at the head of each take.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics