to upgrade or not to upgrade...

Posted by Barry 
to upgrade or not to upgrade...
April 27, 2006 04:38PM
Hi gang, I am finally in between projects and wondering if now is the time that I should, need to or if I even can upgrade to the FCP5 Studio? I will only be shooting in DV for the foreseeable lifetime so I don't need the HDV aspect of the suite. I know that I will need to move up to tiger also. Any idea on how long the upgrade price ($199) will be in affect?

G4 dual 1gig QuickSilver, 1gig ram, OSX 10.3.?, FCP 4.1.1

Re: to upgrade or not to upgrade...
April 27, 2006 04:48PM
One note. People have problems "upgrading" between Panther and Tiger. It is *stongly* urged that you blow everything away and do a fresh install.

So add backup drives, and the cost of a Tiger license and the more time to your estimate.

Do you know where all your software licenses and keys are?

Do you know how to do a Disk Image?

Past that, yes, totally go for it. The fresh install of Tiger usually pays for itself just in the organization and bookkeeping you'll need to do it.

"My license and keys are in this file cabinet, my Image Backup of the Panther install is over here, and my new licenses for Studio and Tiger are over here."

Koz

April 27, 2006 09:31PM
If you've only got parts of the Studio package, do the upgrade, because in the future you will have to buy the whole kit as one expensive unit, but right now the incentive period means you can get in a lot cheaper.

If you've already got Studio and you're happy, and your workflow is not likely to change in the next 3 or so years, there might not be that many reasons for you to spend the money.
April 28, 2006 11:56AM
Any idea on how long the "incentive period" is going to last? We work on a fiscal budget of July 1 to June 30th, so money might be tight here in the next couple of months. Thanx Barry
PfA
April 28, 2006 04:30PM
Check www.apple.com/universal/crossgrade for all of the details.

-Paul from Apple
April 28, 2006 04:36PM
Paul, I'm glad you chimed in. I can't make use of this deal right now, but I'd hate to have it be discontinued before I got a chance to take advantage of it. How long will this offer be open? I would have to go the expensive way, upgrading from FCP 3, and I'd hate to find it suddenly even more expensive.

Scott
April 28, 2006 04:42PM
Y'all:

This is a great upgrade and it's good til the end of the year.

I'd also endorse what <<Koz>> suggested. The upgrade from Panther to Tiger was a nightmare for me. It also permanently disabled Compressor and Motion 1.

Jamie
May 03, 2006 07:29PM
I upgraded to FCP5 by buying the new G5 with Panther first.

The current OS was in place, and I avoided the QT and FCP upgrade blues.

The workhorse G4 is still doing well, working very hard with Tiger, sitting alongside the new G5, doing things that the G4 does so well.

Independent photographer, film maker and Producer. In the wonderful UK.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics