HD is confusing???

Posted by Ryan T 
HD is confusing???
January 07, 2008 03:15PM
Up until now things were simple. For our projects going to broadcast we would deliver on BetaSP or DigiBeta. For our corporate projects we would author and deliver on standard def DVDs.

(Now for the sake of simplicity lets just focus on the DVD portion of things.)

I look at the DVD SP 4 users manual and it says it can do HD DVD?s, and it says it can do Blue-ray DVD?s. So I start looking for HD DVD Burners and I start looking for Blue-ray DVD burners and I see it isn?t that simple. There are very few Blue-ray burners and I can?t even find a HD DVD burner. Am I missing something? What types of high def DVD?s can I actually make with my Mac?
Re: HD is confusing???
January 08, 2008 09:33AM
""I look at the DVD SP 4 users manual and it says it can do HD DVD?s, and it says it can do Blue-ray DVD?s.""

Really? Where does the manual mention BluRay?

In reality, Apple choose the wrong format to build DVD Studio Pro to, back a few years ago when DVD SP Pro 4 was shipped. There are still NO HD-DVD burners available and BluRay burners are everywhere but they cost >$500.00.

The only thing the current V4.2 of DVDSP addresses is RED laser HD-DVD. Useless for most part.

Begins to look like Sony finally won one battle.
Re: HD is confusing???
January 08, 2008 12:16PM
Disc burning was low priority in the original HDDVD spec, which is why there are no burners compared t Blu-Ray. The HD-DVDs that DVDSPro can make are viewable on other Macs. You burn that format onto regular DVDs though; the video is at high-res H.264 and not MPEG-2.

I really believe that DVDSpro didn't get an upgrade in the latest Studio bundle because they're rewriting the program for burning BR discs on an Apple BRSuperdrive. Stay tuned for possible Blu-Ray news next week...

January 08, 2008 03:03PM
Sorry John. I guess I got a little confused. It never does mention BlueRay, but it does repeatedly mention blue laser drives. I guess I assumed it was the same thing. That is not the case I take it? If not what is apple referring to?

Does this mean there is no way to deliver HD content to the average non-techy corporate client?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics