truly understanding multiclip features?

Posted by Phil UK 
truly understanding multiclip features?
January 09, 2008 05:37AM
I do a fair whack of multicamera/angle stuff and have always been fairly hands on ie: I sync the clips by eye because clapper laoders and cameramen still mess up with slates. I stack the clips and cut sequences together. Never have I used any multi clip/cam features. I would like to but don't seem to successfully get the thing going ie: view>multiclip>whatever. Is this a function that makes this process quicker and easier and where am I going wrong? Cheers...PS: Do you get 'Dr Who' in the United States?
Re: truly understanding multiclip features?
January 09, 2008 05:54AM
> Is this a function that makes this process quicker and easier

absolutely ... although the implementation could be better (for example, creating the multiclip or multiclip sequence as or from an independent sequence where each video/audio track represents an angle)

> and where am I going wrong?

you'll have to explain how you're doing it first!

> PS: Do you get 'Dr Who' in the United States?

its on "BBC America" channel
January 09, 2008 07:10AM
> I would like to but don't
> seem to successfully get the thing going ie:
> view>multiclip>whatever. Is this a function that
> makes this process quicker and easier and where am
> I going wrong? Cheers...PS: Do you get 'Dr Who' in
> the United States?

If you're doing multiclip editing consistently, the multiclip feature is a must-use. Why? Coz you see everything happening at the same time, all the time. It'll feel like cutting live in a tv studio, but now you have more time to pace and choose the shots. Admittedly, I'm still a little quirky on the feature- i've only used it once, both at work, and not on a full ep. But once you get all the bits together, it makes the editing is so much better and easier. So instead of "i wonder what cam B looks like", you'll be going "nah... hold on cam A is so much better... ahh... cut to cam x", etc...

The only downside to the multicam editing (and also including nesting), is that occasionally my bins gets cluttered with sequences. Also, talking about nesting, I wonder if i'm the only with this problem- on longer projects (or projects that suddenly seem to explode with different cuts), some of my nests seems to have drifted. ie. Although i just reopened a project for an extension to a video i worked on in 6.01, and suddenly i realize that at one part of a nested shot shifted and it was playing the black after the shot.... Any ideas what happened?
January 09, 2008 09:03AM
I have my clips stacked V1 - V2 - V3 etc..how do I initialize the multiclip device and what should happen? I can't get it to start up thus I always cut by hand which is fine but I'm losing out somewhere. cheers Phil UK
January 09, 2008 09:10AM
I think you need to read up on the multiclip features in the manual.
Generally though, you build "multiclips" which act like source clips with multiple angles in them. You edit the multiclips into a sequence and then you can switch or cut angles within the sequence.

Try it with any four pieces of video, even ones that don't sync. Select them all, find "Make Multiclip" in the menu(it's also a contextual menu option). Lay the resulting multi into a timeline.
EVERYONE doing it for the first time gets hung up on the commands needed and the difference between switch and cut so that's why I suggest reading the manual and searching the forums. We've taken a few people through their first multiclip edits here.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
January 09, 2008 09:27AM
Cool....thanks.
January 09, 2008 10:29AM
once you have your clips synced up, your job is half done... what i remember... select both clips, "make multitrack" and viola! you have a choice of syncing by timecode (why'd you want to do that if they're out of sync on timecode), auxiliary timecode, clip in points, or clip out points (i was using this feature, coz i had chappies who didn't know that they had to keep both cameras running simultaneously on multicam shoots). The gang option will now double up to give you the option of selecting the right audio tracks for the various cameras too.

Yea, a good tutorial should give you the run through you need.
January 09, 2008 10:35AM
Multiclip is cool Phil. Diana Weynand's book does a good chapter on it and takes you through all you need to know. I have some excellent video tutorials on it as well. Are you in North London, I'll drop you one round if you like?
January 09, 2008 12:51PM
Biggest problem with multiclips I've found is that I can not reconnect media, if I do, it throws everything out of sync... both in the multiclip and the multiclips used in sequences.

Big old bug is my guess? (I'm using 6.02
January 10, 2008 04:13AM
Dom, I am in North London at Gas & Electric Ltd in Camden. www.gasandelectric.co.uk
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics