Ftp sites and video

Posted by FindonChrispy 
Ftp sites and video
January 16, 2008 07:53AM
I have a video that needs to be seen by my client today and wondered if there are any ftp sites/accounts that will do the trick? is a .mac one worth a look?

this is a new and very grey area for me,,,,,
Re: Ftp sites and video
January 16, 2008 09:29AM
> I have a video that needs to be seen by my client today and wondered if there are any ftp
> sites/accounts that will do the trick? is a .mac one worth a look?

The best thing is to have your own website with FTP. You will be able to upload things using Fetch, and you can also create usernames and passwords for your clients so that they will have their own accounts on your FTP site, and no client will see the others' disk spaces. It's a good image thing.

But if not, you can try:

www.yousendit.com
- A more unusual service, this one allows you to upload files to the company's site. Then it sends e-mails to your recipients to notify them and give them a link to pick up the file. The disadvantage is that the link is very twisty -- so if they lose the e-mail, you'll have to send them the link again; you probably won't be able to just tell them over the phone, "Go to www.xyz.com/yourname"; it'll be more like "Go to www.yousendit.com/fgjdoiasvhdscjhavklfeasbgvlkdjigoe". Also, files disappear after seven days, I think.

www.filestogo.com
- A more traditional FTP site another client of mine has used. Gives you a username with password. Large storage. I don't think it gives you multiple accounts, though, so everybody will be using the administrator username, which also means anybody can erase/upload/change things. One big minus: This website doesn't play nice with Safari. I've had 50 to 75 per cent failure rate on large (80-300MB) uploads using Safari until I switched to Firefox for the upload.

iDisk works, but I've found it to be a lot slower than an FTP site -- not just due to slower connections. Last I used it, it didn't give me a progress bar on the upload process, so there's no way to tell if your upload has frozen or is still going. Finally, on the two systems where I've used iDisk to upload files, it slowed system performance down to a crawl.

I'm sure others will jump in with more options.

www.derekmok.com
January 16, 2008 01:00PM
I use www.sendthisfile all the time - never a problem, even with files up to 1 GB in size. The basic service of one file at a time is free, but the multiple-file service is only $7 a month - a whole lot cheaper than a dedicated FTP of my own.
January 16, 2008 01:42PM
I like MediaFire.Com for quick and dirty...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics