the super meet was awesome

Posted by Arod 
the super meet was awesome
April 28, 2006 03:28PM
Hey all -
back in florida now :-) I missed my 85% humidity weather - that supermeet was one of the coolest events I attended the at NAB - though I didn't win anything I was happy to see that a student (or recently graduated) won one of the cool cameras -
great to meet you all - see you next year!

Alex Rodriguez -
Arod-

Re: the super meet was awesome
April 28, 2006 08:12PM
That girl must have been excited. She's been mentioned a couple of times already. smiling smiley Whatdid she do?
April 28, 2006 09:26PM
Buy tickets and be cute. Plus she was VERY excited and so was her "crew" in the back.

Most the time the people who win are older folks who may or may not use the product. But to hear that a student (if it was a guy the same mentions would happen) won it was nice to know. Someone you KNOW will put it to use.
April 28, 2006 09:32PM
> Most the time the people who win are older folks who may or may not use
> the product. But to hear that a student (if it was a guy the same mentions
> would happen) won it was nice to know. Someone you KNOW will put it to
> use.

I'll drink to that.

That is, if I actually drank.

We've had students coming into the forum who say they don't have the money and have to use pirated software. I don't condone that, but to have these people get a freebie legitimately -- definitely a great thing.
April 28, 2006 11:07PM
Great supermeet, although I could have killed Mike for giving me, as a prize, my own donation to the raffle - Nattress t-Shirt and filters, but it was awesome just to throw it into the crowd and let some lucky FCPer get a freebie.

Glad to meet all you that I met. My surprise was to meet Adolfo as I didn't even know he'd be there.

Looking forwards to next year all ready!

Oh, and Megan had a blast too!

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
April 28, 2006 11:59PM
> I could have killed Mike for giving me, as a prize, my own donation to the
> raffle - Nattress t-Shirt and filters

God, that made my day. Talk about bonkers.

Mike, are you practising moderation with your pot intake? |:-}=
Anonymous User
April 29, 2006 01:57AM
Part of my raffle schtick. Got to do something to keep the crowd entertained when it takes 2 hours to give away the prizes. :-)

And trust me, Graeme loved it! And so did Megan.

April 29, 2006 09:48AM
Grudgingly, yes :-) We loved it.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
April 29, 2006 01:28PM
I have to say i was kinda let down by it actually. Not by the organization of it or prizes, etc, but just that i didn;t think there was a lot of substance to it.

The most impressive moment was watching Mark Spencers Motion creations and that was it as far as user presentations. JVC's presentation was directly from their booth at Nab, RED didn;t really say anything of use, and the Apple guys who i expected to deliver talked about Shake for more than half the time. I think the market for Shake and the market for FCP is pretty different, and all the FCP related features of Shake should be piped into FCP Studio somehow anyway. Adobe has pixel-blending in After Effects, part of their Creative Suite, how come thats not part of our package, now that we know Apple has something like it?

Maybe i was just wrong in assuming their would be more to be learned from a supermeet than a regular meeting. It was a fun time tho, don;t get me wrong, maybe im just bitter i didn;t win the Andromeda...
April 29, 2006 02:07PM
I was mainly there to meet people, which I did, in spades. I was also there to win something...which I didn't do. MISSED IT BY {} THAT MUCH. I missed the Decklink Extreme by ONE NUMBER. The guy behind me in line got it. LESS than enthusiastically I might point out.

The presentations were prety much what was being presented at the booths, so nothing new there.

But I did enjoy seeing the projects others were working on. Seeing the range of work was a nice touch. And as Michael said, we may not remember this one girl's name who introduced a UFO mocumentary, but you certainly remembered the way she was dressed (blue hair, antennae, Scifi dress out of the 50s).
Anonymous User
April 29, 2006 02:43PM
We made a decision early on to keep the show entertaining rather than overly educational. Visual rather than talky. We figure, after doing this for a few years, and slating the event on a Wednesday most everyone is is suffering from information overload and wouldn't absorb much anyway.

While we try to have the main presenters give you something new thats usually impossible given the date of the event. I really like the "What are you doing with Final Cut Studio" theme and hope to repeat that next year. That really worked for me and it seemed others.

I like the idea of multiple winners of prizes keeping the one prize they want most and giving back the other(s) Not sure the legality of that though unless we spell it out in the beginning. We will try to make that happen next year.

As for the Shake preso that was as much a surprise to me as you. Although I did find it pretty cool. Lets face it, wasn't much to say about FCP this year so you got to fill up the time with something other than Q and A which can be boring depending on the questions. And often in the past the questions were less than exciting.

Each year we learn what works and what doesn't but the bottom line is we have to choose what works for us, and hope the majority of the audience agrees. No way to please all so we don't even try. Same with what I do with lafcpug meetings.

The Rio turned out to be a pretty good venue although it was hugely expensive. This may force us to look elsewhere next year.

Oh, and a big shout out to our AV team led by Chris Eschweiler. Was the best money we could of spent. Those guys solved 100 problems none of us had a clue how to solve. Talented group of guys.

And the girl in the Alien outfit was Wendy Walker. :-)

Anonymous User
Retongue sticking out smileyicts of SuperMeet up
April 29, 2006 03:51PM
[www.lafcpug.org]

Taken with my crappy Olympus snapshot camera. Couple shots are good, rest are kind of boring. Good shot of Shane Ross.

Anonymous User
April 29, 2006 04:22PM
Which one is Shane?

deb

Anonymous User
April 29, 2006 04:50PM
Dark curly hair dude smiling. Damn, I didnt get a shot of you Deb. Kind of got one of Chris in background though. Hope someone else got one

Anonymous User
April 29, 2006 05:28PM
Ahhh...That is a very nice shot!

Hello, Shane!

You did get several shots of me, Michael.

#7 & #8 sitting at the ticket table next to Ned manning Kevin Monahan's PowerBook...

#85 & #92 has of Chris and Jeremy Dittmer & I in the background...(One has Kevin in the foreground, but I don't recognize the woman in the other shot...)

deb

Anonymous User
April 29, 2006 05:45PM
Ah! Great. So glad I did. Thanks for pointing that out. Guess I must of been too busy loking at Ned looking at his tickets.

Heard that table got nuts about an hour after I shot these picts

April 29, 2006 08:28PM
That is a good pic of me. I am usually very unphotogenic.

DEB! We didn't meet! Dang it all. Seems like I met everyone else under the sun.
April 29, 2006 08:50PM
Since this was my first supermeet, I spent too much time in my seat and not enough time meeting people. I think the only person I got to meet from this forum was Michael. Good meeting you Mike, BTW.

I'll have to remember to wander during the presentations a bit more especially if they're just going to be like the NAB booths.

At least I got to vent to Apple. That was kinda fun. I just know that the lot of us will wind up in an "iPod-esque" commercial where they edit out the critical comments and jump cut the praises.

The best part for me (aside from the same guy winning 3 prizes) was the "What are you doing with Final Cut Studio" theme vignettes. I'll have to participate next year.

Andy
April 29, 2006 10:09PM
Hi Deb! I see your picture! Very nice to put a name to a face. You know, Mike...I wish those photos had quick & dirty credits on them...I still don't know what anyone else from the forum looks like (now I know what deb looks like)!

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

April 30, 2006 06:06AM
It would be great if someone put name captions under the pictures. Nice to see the face attached to the names....wish I could have been there - Andy
Anonymous User
April 30, 2006 10:10AM
Hi, all!!

I didn't mingle as much as I would have liked. I took the pressure off of Gary Adcock and volunteered to operate his VTR during the event, so I was behind the AV table most of the night...

I can't remember what your shirt said, Shane, but I remember finding it very funny!

deb

April 30, 2006 01:34PM
My shirt said "MEDIA OFFLINE." The Avid font, but it works for FCP too.
April 30, 2006 09:31PM
ok -
so what was the coolest thing you saw at NAB -
Just one thing please - the most amazing to you -

the best thing I saw was the Cona3 Capturing video and editing at the same time. I am still in shock..

Anonymous User
April 30, 2006 10:13PM
I didn't see diddly. Too busy doing last minute stuff for the SuperMeet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics