Backup Question

Posted by plugues 
Backup Question
January 22, 2008 01:31PM
I'm looking for a backup solution for my video projects...

Their size ranges from 10 to 100Gb, and sometimes files are larger than 5Gb. Would it be worthwhile to back those up to a bunch of DVDs? Should I use external drives? How are you all dealing with this on a daily basis?

Mike
Re: Backup Question
January 22, 2008 01:50PM
> Would it be worthwhile to back those up to a bunch of DVDs?

Nope. DVD burn times are grossly higher than data-copy processes. 100GB will take you a super-long day and 25 data DVDs. Just storing those DVDs will be a nightmare, not to mention if you lose one disc out of 25, then the backup is incomplete.

Just buy a bunch of FireWire 400 drives. They're inexpensive now and the prices are going down every day. Also, if your media files (clips) are from batch-listed, timecoded tapes, you really shouldn't back them up. Dump timecoded clips and render files. Keep the project file, graphics and audio, and basically all non-timecoded, non-expendable media (eg. from P2 cards, DVD extracts).

www.derekmok.com
January 22, 2008 02:30PM
That's precisely where I'm facing a problem, with media from P2 cards. Files are huge, and backing them up is costly.
January 22, 2008 03:16PM
really the only 2 options for you are going to be hard drives or tape drives. a good fast tape drive is several grand. id side with derek. just buy firewire drives.

what i do is just buy every client (or project, depending on size) a new drive. when the project is complete, the drive gets shelved - DONE.
January 22, 2008 03:23PM
For P2 media I've been using a system that I believe Shane Ross first mentioned:

You can get blank SATA or IDE hard drives pretty cheap from companies like NewEgg. 160GB drives are pretty standard now and they cost around $50. Buy a bunch of those and get yourself a Universal Drive Adapter (like THIS ONE)
which will allow you to plug the bare drives directly into a USB port to mount them. Format one of these drives, backup your project to it then put it back into the static bag and toss it in your closet. I've saved several projects like this now and while the adapter is a bit cumbersome (lots of cables) it saves a lot of money and space to just store those cheap drives. Way less expensive than a bunch of Firewire drives.

HTH,
JK

January 22, 2008 04:07PM
thats pretty sneaky JK! wonder if anyone makes that in a fw800 version???
January 22, 2008 04:16PM
wonder if anyone makes that in a fw800 version???

Here ya gosmoking smiley
January 22, 2008 05:51PM
splendid! if you were a dame id send ya flowers!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics