Transition length

Posted by gnacey 
Transition length
January 25, 2008 06:12AM
I'm still pretty new to FCP. I shot a piece of film in 4X3 format and one in 16X9 format. I "Exported" the 4X3 piece to create a 16X9 copy of it. I then imported the 16X9 version to my project. The video plays fine. HOWEVER, when I go to create a simple video dissolve, it makes the length 1 FRAME long (even though the shot is 4 seconds long), and I can not seem to do ANYTHING to make the transition even 1 second long. Can anyone help me with this??? Thanks so much.
Re: Transition length
January 25, 2008 06:27AM
sounds like you don't have handles. 4 second long shot? If you're using all 4 seconds in your video, you've no handle for a dissolve.
January 25, 2008 11:23AM
I know I'm new, but what is a handle, and if I only want a 1 second transition, why is a 4 second video section not long enough?
January 25, 2008 12:13PM
> I know I'm new, but what is a handle, and if I only want a 1 second transition, why is a 4 second
> video section not long enough?

Look at it this way. Before you apply a transition, the two clips are sitting back to back, each four seconds long. When you add a one-second transition onto that edit, the first clip now cannot end at the edit point -- it must now last for 15 frames longer in order to complete the transition.

I'm guessing that when you re-exported the clips, you only chose the parts of the clips you thought you were going to use, so now you don't have handles.

I don't believe the re-export was a good thing to do, myself. You could have easily applied a letterbox mask to the 4:3 footage to match the 16:9 without re-exporting the clips. Re-exporting the clips greatly reduced your flexibility.

www.derekmok.com
January 25, 2008 12:42PM
Would the letterbox mask "stretch" the footage to fit 16x9 format? Can you tell me how I put that mask on? I don't want to reduce my flexibility, and I'm sure it is something I should learn how to do. Thanks a TON!
January 25, 2008 01:01PM
> Would the letterbox mask "stretch" the footage to fit 16x9 format?

No, but you could have done the stretch using Motion - Distort. Re-exporting the footage before you edit means you lost parts of the frame and can't readjust the frame if you want to. Also you may have lost timecode.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics